Old 03-29-2010   #1
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
new mexico/somewhere this weekend?

upper taos box (IV+ creeky) is running medium, along with something called the gila, not sure what that's all about. anybody interested in checking out the taos scene? i've got a line on a place to stay and potentially a local to show lines, lookin for somebody to carpool with from CO/the front range. probably leave fort collins friday/early saturday, paddle both days, back late sunday.

or, if anyone has any other leads on where there might be water within a reasonable drive (6-8 hrs) from fort funtastic, i'd be into pretty much anything that's fluid.

xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by xavierengle View Post
upper taos box (IV+ creeky) is running medium
I don't think I would call the upper box IV+ at medium's solid V.

If your a class V boater interested in the box, then you don't want to waste your time on the Gila (unless your into scenic floats, and a lot more driving).

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
thanks for the beta. know of anything else around there that might be running?
xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
A little clarification (in my opinion) about the Upper Taos Box - I think at 700, the moves and degree of pushiness is more like IV to IV+, aside from Big Arsenic, Hell Hole and NCO. But the consequences of a swimmer in the water are class V throughout, even in the 'mellow' sections - especially at low and medium flows. Everything is scoutable / walkable, though- just take the time to get out and look at every horizon line.

I would say, at this level, that it's not a bad early season warmup for a class V boater with a very solid roll, but you'd want your regular creeking crew and take all safety precautions. When I lived in Durango the Upper Box was generally the first trip of the year to get the cobwebs out. A gorgeous run with a horrendous climb out at the end. Over 1000 it gets very pushy and the moves get more difficult, but the sieves start to get buried fairly deep.

Read Jed Selby's account of getting sucked through a sieve on the Upper in Whitewater of the Southern Rockies. <shiver>
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hey, I could potentially be into rolling down to check out the Taos Box or some other creeks/rivers that may be running. I'm in Fort Collins, just moved here actually, and would really like to get on some water this weekend. Hit me up if your interested. Billy 703-400-1447
BEArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote