Old 10-28-2011   #1
New Mexico mt biking

We are headed to the Land of Enchantment...... need to escape this early Colorado snow. Looks like lots of biking in Los Alamos Santa Fe area. Looks like lots in the Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso area.

I have biked Gallup..... nice biking...... not my favorite town.

We will be traveling and staying in a 4x4 truck camper. Looking for great X/C riding and backcountry camping..... and good food.

Must do rides in the areas I listed or others are needed. Not real familiar with New Mexico.

Oh yea.... must see sites as well.

Thanks in advance.... you guys always give me good tips.

nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #2
West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The Jemez Mountains above Los Alamos have some great riding and nice dispersed camping. You'll see the trailheads from the highway...not sure of any names. Make sure and go to the hot springs as well- they are awesome! A google search will give you more info as well...

rrb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #3
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Keep in mind that the Los Conchas fire from this summer has closed some of the trails/forest roads in the Jemez. There should still be plenty open (especially in the northern portion), but just plan to be flexible.

I would love to suggest some trails, but my only bike is of the 650cc variety. You might try contacting the Tuff Riders, a Los Alamos based mountain bike club that dates back to the 80's:
Tuff Riders Mountain Bike Club | Home Page

And also keep in mind that this is the middle of hunting season in the Jemez, so some hi-viz jackets might be a good idea.
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Check out glade run trail system outside farmington, nm. There are 42 miles of trail and is the site of the road apple rally, the oldest continuosly held mtn. Bike race in the world. Nearby attrations include salmon ruins, bisti de na zin wilderness, And Chaco culture park.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #5
Consider also the riding between Angel Fire and Taos: South Boundary Trail in particular, as well as numerous other, shorter XC-type rides in and around the Enchanted Circle area.

Visit Rey at Gearing Up in Taos for map(s)/info.
dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #6
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Here a link

New Mexico Trail Reviews

This is sorted by town. I'm from Los Alamos and always loved to climb Quamezon to Upper Juaje ridge line and drop back into town. It may have been impacted by fires since I left 25 years ago. There was a bike shop called 2 wheel drive in ABQ that I think is still open. Call them for Northern NM ideas. Anywhere in Northern NM, you need to secure your stuff. It isn't the drunken indian fest that Gallup can be, but people smash and grab there more than anywhere else I have encountered. There is a ton of beautiful stuff in Northern NM!!
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #7
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
In the Santa Fe area: The best would be Winsor Trail, Rio en Medio, Aspen Vista Rd (10k-12k elevation climb) Atalaya to the Dale Ball trails, The Rail trail, Caja Del Rio, And there are trails in La Tierra as well. most all covered in the trail reviews above. the Top 2 are south boundary and winsor IMO. i haven't done any biking in the Jemez, but it is beautiful... bring climbing gear too though, cause there is a TON around the area. good combo day in the Jemez: climb, bike ride , then hotsprings..... :]

Another good resource, run by a paddler from Austin:

Mountain Bike Trails and Reviews
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #8
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Enchanted Circle is an amazing and challenging ride! If you are willing to drive into ABQ, there are some nice areas up by the foothills and around the crest, off highway 14.

Hypnosis Albuquerque
ABQStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #9
Breckenridge, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
You need to stop at Chaco canyon on your way down. I know the trails in ABQ. I have a NM mt bike book too. Maybe I can meet you to go thru Jemez or Bandolier (sp).
paddleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #10
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
hey there, a couple updates from northern NM. the las conchas fire did a number on the trails around los alamos. the beloved quemazon trail was buldozed and is basically devoid of fun technical stuff now. also torched were the american springs loop. parts of the nail trail and the trail system on pajarito mountain are still good. also good are the trails in bayo canyon and basically anything that isn't in the mountains.

as far as the south boundary (great trail), i think there's some snow on teh trail now and more forecast for this weeken so be aware of that if you're heading that way.

same is true of the winsor above 8'000 feet or so.

always good riding in La Tierra or the Caja del Rio but these are non-tenchical trails so it depends on what you're looking for.

drop an e-mail or give a call when you're around and i can show you some trails if you want.

semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote