Old 07-27-2016   #1
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
New Mexico?

I'll be spending some days in NM this weekend and into next week with boats. Looks like the RG and Chama still have enough to float. Anybody have words of wisdom or plans to paddle? GF and I could be into an overnighter on the Chama. Does the ranch at the Chama put-in still shuttle vehicles? Cost?

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #2
Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 12
You will need a BLM permit to do an overnighter from the El Vado put in. Shuttle last year was $70/vehicle. Call the BLM office in Pilar to see about permit availability. We did the lower/day section last Sunday. Was great!

Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Bring bikes to self shuttle the day section of the chama, its about 8 miles with minimal traffic sometimes. great free camping at chama campground, 2nd left before the road dead ends at the monastery. Last left is the day/raft put-in. good camping lower too. whirlpool, and at the big huge cottonwood tree. I like the top for the put in access, and theres shitters... lol.

On the rio grande the Race course is still good to go with playboats, we run it to 200cfs +or - , only because thats what we got... (i guided a whole summer below 300, bottoming out at 160cfs. feck that character building nonsense.)

below 600cfs big rocks slot is the only hazard of note. and theres still plenty of deep channels to stern squirt and play in. you can surf souse hole, sleeping beauty and on the fly in the narrows...

Lower Taos box is also runnable, although most will tell you not to..portage powerline and caution with yellowbank and sceaming right. its actually still kinda fun class III creekiness at low flows, but a long day. theres a somewhat sketchy hike/lower in too, to put-in below powerline. if you like THAT type of adventure.
I work F/S/S but would love to paddle early next week. feel free PM me if you want to meet up... also a NM whitewater FB page for lots of other nortenos most of whom have weekends free for paddling ...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote