Old 03-05-2009   #1
Sydney, NSW
Paddling Since: 2009

Im going to NEPAL in 1 week! (10th March 09)
Can anyone recommend RIVERS / GUIDES / GEAR HIRE
for this time of year.

I will be in Katmandu for a week & based around Pokhara for 6 weeks.

I have not been kayaking long so I am thinking of getting some xtra
instruction as well. I would like to do a trip for a week or more.

any advice would be greatly appretiated!

anuvadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I was there for all of Nov. The kayaker hang out in Kathmandu seems to be a guest house called Holy Lodge down the street and around the corner from Kathmandu guest house I think, but get the HELL out of Kathmandu as quickly as possible. I liked Pokara much better.

I would consider myself a solid class IV boater and I didn't do anything that challenged me on the Sun Kosi, Karnali, Balisi (sp?) and lower bhota kosi at that time. For the Sun Kosi I tagged along with a commercial raft trip and can recommend Ultimate Descents Nepal. I hired a guide at $10 a day + food and lodging for the Balisi and Bhota Kosi and did a raft supported kayak trip from the same company (who's name I'm blanking) on the Karnali. Ask one of the commercials where the kayak shop is and you will find the company, it is run buy a German guy named Andy.

Water level should be a lot higher now then when I was there with the spring run off so I would expect everything to be a full level harder then when I was there. When I go again I'm going to buy a older play boat in the US and use it/trade/sell it there.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Update: Remembered the name of the kathamandu shop Shiva Outdoors Boathouse Nepal - Kayaking, rafting, adventure sports in nepal - Kathmandu, Nepal

I believe the name of the Pokera shop is Gangesh Kayak shop. Run by a French ex-pat. Never did any business with them but it isn't hard to find it is on the main tourist drag and I heard good things.

You can also scope out the thread I started about this time last year on Nepal. It's almost useless at this point because someone is messing with it and it gets shorter and shorter every time I go to it now but maybe you can gleam some info from it. November in Nepal?
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
While Kathmandu has some amazing architecture, it is a crowded, polluted madhouse. Pokhara, on the other hand, is a beautiful lakeside refuge with an awesome view of the Annapurna Range. When you're not on the river, it's a pretty great place to hang out. My wife and I spent 10 incredible days there after a trek into Mustang.

Pokhara and Pokhara Photo Gallery - Mountain & Scenery from Pokhara

PS - watch out for the leeches in Lake Phewa Tal. They're prolific and blood-thirsty little monsters.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I went last March at this time and the water was still a little low up North. Agree with posts above, for class 3 boater, head to Pokhara, plus it's a relaxed atmosphere and beautiful.
I safety kayaked while my wife rafted down the Kali Gandaki. Minimal class 4, but mostly 2-3. Highly recommend not kayaking "little brother" in beginning as 3 tourists have died there in hole river left. After that, only one keeper issue river right on a class 4 that you can portage. Everything else will flush you out easy and most water is smooth sailing.
Food was great with outfit below and they have 2 safety kayakers per rafting trip, so you can kayak with them no worries. Very nice guys also, highly recommended.
Most dangerous part of your trip will be the bus rides to and from the river along with the Pokhara flight to Kat. I recommend Buddha Air. They have newer planes, very good about being on time and served Mountain Dew made in India on the 20 minute flight, loved it!

Trekking in Nepal, Rafting in Nepal, rafting kayaking expedition.

P.S. For flights arranged from U.S. along with guides, the Budda Air guy was very helpful and delivered tickets to my hotel in Kat
badpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #6
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
one word

the reflection on the lake is

another word

dal bat (ok it's 2 words)

penny has a point about the buses; one thing i noticed (even 20 years ago) was that we westerners are much larger than the locals, so bus seats tend to be a little more cozy than greyhound

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote

nepal kayaking trek