Old 10-11-2007   #1
Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
NEED some Mexico beta!!!

A few friends and I are planning on spending a month kayaking in Mexico - December - January. We have tentative plans to head up to San Luis Patosi area and work our way south to Veracruz. Maybe if we have time I think we might head to Chiapas or Oaxaca. We are looking to boat class IV/V creeks and would like to know some classic runs that are a must in the areas.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on renting or buying a vehicle? What are the best ways to get around other than bus?

Any help or recommendations would be great!

sandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #2
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
not to burst your bubble but you're going a little late and may experience some low water blues. generally the further south you go the more water you will find so I would plan on going into chiapas. the best season is september-november as all the creeks are rain fed from the fall hurricanes.

a crew and I basically did the trip you are talking about 3 years ago and I can give you a lot of beta but IMHO unless Mexico is having a really wet fall you will be slightly disapointed. costa rica/ecuadar would be a better destination.

The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #3
in the ditches, ......
Paddling Since: 1996
Go further south. Each day the rains move further and further south. Look into some stuff more south like he said....costa to be safe. Or go for and hope for the best....but the chances are slim during that time frame. (see all the youtube Micos videos during that time period).

The impossible is merely the undone. -CS
codyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #4
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i went to mexico with world class last fall/winter, def go to veracruz, check out the alsaseka, for some more infor go to he has some good pics and beta, there will be another group down there, ian garcia, tyler bradt, evan garcia, and possibly a few others
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote