Old 06-05-2006   #1
Need some advice planning a float down Loma/Westwater

I am planning a trip down Loma and Westwater with a group of 9. We have a couple intermediate rafters, but mostly beginers. We'll be going down in 1 and 2 man inflatible kayaks. We plan on leaving from boulder early saturaday and finishing westwater monday afternoon. Any suggestions on what to expect from the current flow of 11,800 cfs? Should the beginers be all right(all little swiming is expected) ? Anything else I should know from someone with experince running westwater? I've heard the permit system is a bitch...
I appreciate any suggestions

John falkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
I'm a bit confused by a couple of your questions - 1st do you have any rafts going or just IK's? And you asked about permit system - does this mean you do not have a permit or are you referring to the check-in process?

At 10k+, Westy is pretty big and pushy - intermediate IK's should do fine, but I would not want to be a beginner at that level.

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
With the group you have, I think maybe you should forget about Westwater unless someone wants to get their name in the paper. Just my opinion.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #4
Di questions

No, we won't have a raft. we have 1 and 2 man inflatible kayaks.
I was refering to the check in process, so any pointers will be helpful.
John falkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #5
If you don't know what you are doing, please don't do the Westwater portion of your trip. The float trhough Ruby horsethief is amazing. There is great camping at Black Rocks, and is a great place to lay over a day or so. Great side hikes and wonderful views. No permit is required for this section. Take out at the Westwater Ranger Station. Trips like this require special equipment. i.e., fire pan, portable toilet system, as these places are a "leave no trace" type of camp area. Westwater is big water, please don't let rookies run there own rig. Boat Safe! Have Fun!
dfreshest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #6
Paddling Since: 1989
Loma stretch only

I agree with the last post 300%. I was just down Loma section, took out at Westwater, at 11,700 cfs for 30 miles of beautiful river corridor. You can have a blast on that section with no permit, but sign up for the camps. Do some hikes, float the river, work on some paddling skills. Westwater isn't the trip for the group described.
pamfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #7
The permit system at Westwater isn't a "bitch" just a checkout to make sure you have all the basics (firepan, groover, extra paddles or oars, decient PFD's, 1st aid, pump and patch kit, etc) Seeing as all that was listed with your permit packet and you aren't clear about it I agree with the above comments, I just got off from 5 runs starting May 28 and saw plenty of carnage, nothng wrong about starting off with small steps, it'll still be there when you're ready.
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #8
Vail, Colorado
So far everyone who has posted a response is right on. Water is too big for beginner as well it sounds like you don't have the right equipment. I was there 2-3 weeks ago at 1800cfs and Skull Rapid was huge and pushy. The room of doom is no treat itself. Also just the boils alone will flip all of your inflatables and create some serious problems for your crew that may even get in the news paper if you know what I mean. Its big and without experience you are better off floating Ruby and hitting the lower section w/ and experienced guide. Good luck on what ever decision you make.

"That pregnant slut is playing us like a cheap fiddle!" -Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #9
west slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

You better be careful, did you see what happened recently due to a long swim it sounds like. The early teens are the worst for Westwater. I would just bring lots of beer and enjoy your time from Loma to the Westwater put-in.
jahmon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #10
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I saw police and an ambulance heading towards the Westwater take out Sunday evening. I was coming home from Moab and they were passing us and turned in Cisco towards the take out & Fish Ford. Hopefully, it was nothing.

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote