Need ideas for a Man Up destination trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Arlington, Virginia
Need ideas for a Man Up destination trip

Every year, buddies and I get together for an adventure trip, doing things that sane people only do when they're coaxed into it by other friends. "I'll do it if you'll do it..."

This year, we're thinking about whitewater kayaking. Most of us have done WW rafting (Gauley, Tuolomne) and sea kayaking, but no whitewater river kayaking.

Can you guys offer some recommendations on destinations? We want to do something that's far more exciting than a run-of-the-mill experience for urban weekend warriors. Most of us are former military, and we love the adrenaline.

We're coming from all across the country, but mostly DC and Boston areas. Proximity to a major airport is important. Being able to combine with another adventure is important too. I was thinking about paragliding, hang gliding, and/or mountain biking to round out the weekend, and if you have ideas about those too, I'll take them!

Would love to hear your ideas.

Man up!!

ArlingtonM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

All over, Colorado
All kinds of shit like that to do in the Dallas area
shannon s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Man up

Climb Mt Rainier
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
just a heads up, boating ain't like skiing where you just get the shit and hit the slopes, and figure it out as you go. It's expensive and takes a little while before you get to do the fun looking stuff.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Arlington, Virginia
Critter70, Thanks. That's why I'm asking you pros for the sanity check and advice. How would you set up a kick ass weekend for your buddies?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Colorado certainly fits the bill. You need gradient for everything your talking about. Denver has a big airport, tons of hard core mt. biking, several paragliding choices, lots of river destinations.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Of course, the whitewater chooses when and how much it flows. Not You. So planning ahead becomes problematic.

A notable whitewater stretch that is both challenging and readily available is Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River near the Utah border. The Fruita area nearby is famous for Mountain Biking. If wanting more challenge, try exploring Robber's Roost Slot Canyons by going the other direction. Info on that : http://www.roadtripryan.com/go/

If there are some experienced and aspiring climbers, then climb Otto's Route on Independence Monument in Colorado National Monument.

Accomplishing those 4 goals would be worthy of manhood.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Arlington, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter70 View Post
Colorado certainly fits the bill.
Any particular areas that I should look at? I heard some good things about Buena Vista
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

Arlington, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
Climb Mt Rainier
Been there... and Denali, too. Kayaking will be a new challenge
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Rosa, At the bottom of the Lake
Paddling Since: 1996
Strange I've never heard a good thing about that place...

Denver Metro is way more MAN than anywhere, ever; and all the craft beer and hippie cabbage you and an army could ever need, at fair prices.

Good luck.

As a side note new favorite, is classic road trip to any destination with some fishing poles and a boat in tow. Two weeks or more if you can swing it. An unlimited budget would be best, though that's not my style. Do as the wild robusta's did: swim.
GilaRobusta is offline   Reply With Quote