Mountain Buzz banner

Need ideas for a Man Up destination trip

13K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  kayakfreakus 
#1 ·
Every year, buddies and I get together for an adventure trip, doing things that sane people only do when they're coaxed into it by other friends. "I'll do it if you'll do it..."

This year, we're thinking about whitewater kayaking. Most of us have done WW rafting (Gauley, Tuolomne) and sea kayaking, but no whitewater river kayaking.

Can you guys offer some recommendations on destinations? We want to do something that's far more exciting than a run-of-the-mill experience for urban weekend warriors. Most of us are former military, and we love the adrenaline.

We're coming from all across the country, but mostly DC and Boston areas. Proximity to a major airport is important. Being able to combine with another adventure is important too. I was thinking about paragliding, hang gliding, and/or mountain biking to round out the weekend, and if you have ideas about those too, I'll take them!

Would love to hear your ideas.

Man up!!

#7 ·
Of course, the whitewater chooses when and how much it flows. Not You. So planning ahead becomes problematic.

A notable whitewater stretch that is both challenging and readily available is Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River near the Utah border. The Fruita area nearby is famous for Mountain Biking. If wanting more challenge, try exploring Robber's Roost Slot Canyons by going the other direction. Info on that : http://www.roadtripryan.com/go/

If there are some experienced and aspiring climbers, then climb Otto's Route on Independence Monument in Colorado National Monument.

Accomplishing those 4 goals would be worthy of manhood.

#10 ·
Strange I've never heard a good thing about that place...

Denver Metro is way more MAN than anywhere, ever; and all the craft beer and hippie cabbage you and an army could ever need, at fair prices.

Good luck.

As a side note new favorite, is classic road trip to any destination with some fishing poles and a boat in tow. Two weeks or more if you can swing it. An unlimited budget would be best, though that's not my style. Do as the wild robusta's did: swim.

#11 ·
Call Brandon at the Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center, he can help you craft the type of adventure your looking for. They offer many different activities, and have one of the best paddling schools in the state. If you want to kayak whitewater they will do everything possible to help make it happen. Plus they offer climbing, mountaineering, skiing, mountain biking and backpacking trips.

Kayak School Instruction, SUP, Rafting Brown's Canyon, Arkansas River Colorado

#12 ·
RMOC could be good, and the Arkansas river valley is a pretty awesome place to boat, would also give the option to take a day and raft Royal Gorge or Numbers if you wanted to check out some bigger western white water. Try to time it so those sections are not closed due to potentially very high water this spring, even when they are, other sections are a kick in the pants. Ark has over 100 miles of white water to chose from. Used to guide Royal Gorge and always had a lot of fun there, modified bungie jumping( called the sky coaster) off the rim is available, and going for a helicopter ride with the old vietnam pilot IN the canyon is a great time.

#13 ·
Could also do pretty much a tour from the numbers down to Canon city, which would have a lot to offer. Definitely go with some instruction for the Kayaking, as it tends to be more of a shity/ dangerous time without it, think a little bit more along lines of building for subsequent adventures!
If you ever want to get out to CO in August, Big Gore canyon is one of the hardest sections of commercially run white water in the country. AVA and Timberline rafting run it out of Granite Co, and require a boating resume before they will take a crew up there, runs like the upper Gauley and Royal Gorge at high water a few times are usually in the requirements, along with swimming rapids, flip drills and the like. Would be something to plan for down the road if you want to run some big stuff in the future. Definitely an awesome, but take it very seriously, section!

#14 ·
Just saying, if your looking for a man up adventure, kayak school ain't it. It's learning the fundamentals and figuring it out. Look at I this way, golf can be fun, doesn't even look hard, first time you try...... sucks a big one, gotta learn the fundamentals. I try to tell anyone I meet who says I want to learn to kayak, see all that cool stuff they are doing over there, well that's not you for a little while, let's go train in flat water. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome sport, but not exactly balzout at first, well it can be, but......

#15 ·
Another vote for Brandon at Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center. (known locally as RMOC) If I were you I would ask him about doing an inflatable kayak (ducky) trip through Browns Canyon. Duckies aren't as 'cool' as kayaks but they're much more stable. You could potentially take a ducky down something way more exciting your first time than you could a kayak. You could get your fill of adrenaline/carnage in a slightly more controlled and safer set up. Then they could point you to some of the awesome mountain biking we have in the area. Or fishing, or 4-wheeling, or ????, whatever your heart desires.

#16 ·
Ohiopyle, PA

I recommend you check out Ohiopyle, Pa if you haven't already. Has great kayaking and decent mountain biking/ rock climbing - Only 3 hours away from DC. It's a sweet place, and a really good river to learn how to kayak. I'd also recommend Wilderness Adventures over the other outfitters for bike/ kayak rentals, they have a one stop shop for everything, are are great people, and have a sweet bar on the property.

#20 ·
Dont expect to just jump in a kayak and run a whitewater river. Think Deliverance as your paradigm. Maybe some rental duckies like Critter says would be a safer bet.

#22 ·
Another vote for the Yough. Go to Ohiopyle and have someone show you beaters down the loop. It's a short section of river that runs in a large horseshoe. As a bunch of rookies to hard boats, you'll have some great swims and carnage by the time you hit the takeout. Next day, rents duckies for the upper yough (4-5) and have yourself a manly time getting beat to a pulp on your way down. Next day pick you poison of hard or soft kayak and head to the tygart river (valley falls) to huck a few super safe waterfalls.

#31 ·
Pikes Peak

Well if you want to man up doing a one day up and down trip of Pikes Peak is no walk in the park. No it is not Mountain Climbing but it is an endurance challenge. You can fly right into the springs do Pikes Peak and then head up the Arkansas Valley to Ducky browns or whatever. Also anything you can kayak you can SUP. Plenty of mountain biking trail. Also you could SUP a bunch of White water play parks in Pueblo, Cannon City, Salida and Buena Vista. River surfing looks like a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taAXmhFxUQM&list=PLuyZcF9mpiDKw6koTCHtpw9igCQDZyK7F&index=3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.