Mountain Buzz banner

Need experienced rafter for 3/4/10 Grand Canyon trip

10K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  David Wiedeman 
#1 ·
Hello,
My name is Scott and I have a private permit for the Colorado river from March 4th to the 23rd (Lees Ferry to Diamond point). I have two friends that are very experienced river runners from Durango CO. One of them owns a rafting company and the other has worked many summers working for rafting companies. I am technically the trip leader but really Im just the permit holder. They have the experience and are the actual trip leaders and they will most likely make the important decisions for this trip.
Unfortunately none of their friends have the means or available time off to come on this trip of a lifetime. Luckily for some experienced river-runner, who has the time and a little extra money, we have some open spots and need your experience. If you are interested and would like more information please contact me as soon as possible, there are still 3 openings. Thank you

#2 ·
Grand Canyon

Hi,

I would be able to row a boat for you down the canyon, I work as a professional raft guide and have rowed the canyon a few times. The dates would be perfect for me right before my commercial season. Are you renting all of the equipment or does everyone on your trip have equipment and experience. Also, what are you expecting the cost to be?

Darcy

#3 ·
Hi Darcy,
Our trip will be outfitted by Pro River Outfitters out of Flagstaff. Since they are a flexible company they will be discounting us for any personal equipment that is brought along and not rented from Pro. The initial estimate per person was right about $1100 with everything, but Im hoping to have that reduced.
The experience level for most of the trip members is relatively low with the exception of a few. Only three have run this stretch of the Colorado before and only two are, or have been professional river guides. Which is why we are looking for someone experienced to row a boat for us. I know that is kind of a lot of money so let me know if thats a feasible price range for you. Also If you have any friends or coworkers who might be interested, we would definitely welcome the added experience. If you have any more questions let me know, I would be happy to answer them. Thank you Darcy.

Scott

#4 ·
$1100 is reasonable with Pro, they make it very simple, I have a groover, water jerrys, fire pan, a lot of kitchen, dutch ovens etc, boat, and more. I can come up with more folks to fill the permit without a problem, I just need to know when you need defnate answers and money. Thanks Darcy

#7 ·
A lot of people are more comfortably running the Grand with an 18' boat, which not a lot of people have. Its also much easier to use a proven system for that long a trip if your set up isn't totally sussed out.

That said, the one time I went down the Grand I was very happy to be rowing my own 16' boat, and no one rented any gear. It looked to be about half and half rented vs owned gear from the other groups I saw on the river.

#9 ·
I think it's also common so that groups can minimize boats/rowers, as so many are non-boaters with permits looking for boaters to row them down. The bigger the boat, the more it can carry, and that way they need fewer boaters, and spread the rental cost around. It also saves wear and tear, do you really want to put 21+ days on your boat if a boat rental cost could be shared by 3-4 people? It all depends on the situation, I know some people that always rent the rubber for that reason alone.

Plus, an 18' boat is cush to live on for 3 weeks, never having to haul any of your personal gear off of it, sleep on it, etc.

If it's a group of boaters, as mania says, people more often take their own gear, but more boats would be needed to spread out the group gear/food/etc and you probably wouldn't see the 2-3 passengers per boat that is common with the first-mentioned setup (non boaters with permits).

Those rental companies have it pretty dialed, I wouldn't blink at the thought of taking another rental boat down if that was my only option for a trip I really wanted to get on. You just have to plan ahead a bit for some personalization and to make sure you get the gear you want.

#8 ·
I find that a lot as in 'most' people are in disbelief when I tell them we usually take 13 to 14 foot boats down since that is what me and my posse runs with. thus they think they need to rent a giant boat since they don't have one. It really is fine. I am thinking of taking a super puma this time (in 6 weeks).

so if you ever go on a mania trip, its like this: round up as much gear as you can from yourself, friends, family including boats, beat up coolers, used groovers. go to walmart and buy most of your food there. beg beer vendors for sponsorship. keep total participant costs to ~$700. about the only thing I pay someone for is a shuttle. we can still eat pretty well.

#12 ·
Non-boaters should not be getting private permits! That may be the problem right there. It seems like part of the experience of a private trip is the fact that you do the trip yourself, self-supported. If you screw up your planning, you suffer. This isn't a Disneyland vacation.

#22 ·
The good thing about non-boaters going is that it does create a LOT of opportunity for boaters to get down the canyon, if they have the skills, and perhaps gear, to make the trip work for the permit holder. It seems pretty easy to find trips darn near any time of the year, if you are so inclined.

On the flip side, if only boaters were putting in it would be easier to get your own permit. Either way, it's pretty easy to get on a trip if you work hard at figuring out how to do so, and there's really no way to exclude non-boaters from permits. They are the larger population after all.

Regarding why trips don't fill up in a heartbeat, people have a lot going on, what with other river trips, other recreation, and life in general. With so many opportunities out there, boaters can be more choosy, and typically I'd bet rowing a boat for non-boaters is last on anyone's list! It seems the "boaters looking for other boaters" trip do fill up. As long as the person posting the trip isn't an asshole :-D

#13 ·
I have to agree with Mr. Mania. I have a 15' boat and it is a great ride. Last year, we had a guy with a 12' boat and he ran the meat of everything! We have even had an 11' paddle boat we r2 in many rapids. Never flipped! Bring your own stuff, isn't that why you bought it? I buy almost all my food and beer in Page and we usually do our trips for $700-$800 and live like KINGS! That includes gas to and from COlorado and hotel rooms sometimes in Page. Ask around, lots of people have ideas on how to pack stuff cheap.
I'd like to go with you but my friends and I are trying to get our own trip. Maybe we'll see you down there!

#14 ·
So how do you propose we seperate "boaters" from "non-boaters"? If you went on a commercial raft trip once, are you a boater? How about all the people on this website that float down Class II that requires no skill whatsoever? Are they boaters? If and when I do the Grand, I would like to bring some non-boaters.

Fact is even most "boaters" do not have all the gear necessary for a three week trip. So, some enterprising people now rent gear. What is the problem with that? Why does it matter to you who packed their coolers full of food?

We're talking about a bunch of wavetrains and nice scenery here, not a Himalayan expedition. Don't take it so seriously.

#16 ·
I think we have established that a GC trip is exactly half way between disneyland and a himalayan expedition. good work all.

as for bringing newbs, well if the TL and group want to why not? they might get hooked and become boaters and help preserve our rivers.

same goes for spending a lot: if everyone wants to spend $2k that's okay - just not for me.

#17 ·
You can define yourself as a "boater" or "non-boater", but I would have a problem with people getting permits who do not have the skills to get down the river themselves (whether they rent gear or not is not the point). That is why there is an over abundance of commercial spots.

Sorry this thread got hijacked. I am not referring to the original poster at all, just the fact that I would be pissed to find out that a bunch of newbies are putting in for Grand permits and then they plan to go round up a bunch of "experienced boaters" to fill their permit and take their friends down.

There is no problem bringing a few noobs on a trip, I just hope one of them is not your TL!

Yes, it is mostly wave trains and scenery, but it is 3 weeks without an opportunity to easily escape or re-supply. And we all know $hit happens out there. I'm done, Happy New Year's all! Obviously I need some RT.

#18 ·
Permits have always been awarded to inexperienced boaters although the old waiting list gave people lots of time to learn.

The Park wants people to enter the lottery once as a group, but to increase the odds everyone in a group usually applies. The Park tried to set up a system where you got hit with a $200 fee as soon as you were awarded a launch date to make that too expensive, but it didn't get implemented.

It’s a requirement that one person on a trip have comparable river experience. Repeating boatman are choosy about who they go with since they can only go once a year.

#20 ·
I am totally amazed that these Grand Canyon trips do not fill up in a heart beat, when posted here on the Buzz. Who cares where the equipment comes from or who has the permit the main thing is, you are on a fantastic river. I know jobs, money, family, school, too hot, too cold etc. I understand these things, but there will come a time in your life that you look back and say to yourself, I am glad I took the time to do it. You cannot put a dollar sign on those experiences.

#21 ·
Amen brotha. Stoked to be yakkin it for the 3rd March in a row this year. Puttin on a day before these newbs ;). Darcy-same Darcy from SmallWorld? If you see me out there in a burn holla at me. I'll be the wonely, wonesome kayaker. Love to talk to ya about Ecuador-where i will hopefully visit in the future.

...but dont try to outstrategize us for camp sites. It's like war games out there and were the special forces. We move stealthily and swift. Like a hard ass navy seal. Ugh.

#28 ·
AEy! I feel abnoxious! This dude just wants to put a trip together. F an A! I'm only 38. Back in the day, we all had to mail in Continual Interest Forms through the post office-Certified Mail every year. The waiting list became so long, we would be dead before getting on; and we dealt with massive amounts of cancellations that went unused. We earned our points. Some nice guy offers a spot and everybody but Flow Torch (Ma Fren), and a few others feel compelled to throw in their negative 2 cents.

I realize most of you Forum Junkies are to cool to say, "thanks for the invite. have fun. wish i could be there".

The NPS for the Grand has great employees. They will work with you. They give you plenty of time to pay your deposit and plan your trip.

I would much rather go on a river trip with a diverse group, full of hope, humor, and a sense of wonder than a bunch of opinionated, know-it-all, buzzards.

Hate mail please.

E-

P.S. Chainsaws, Tasty Beer, Hot Happy Girls!

#36 ·
Everybody here monitors this stuff. It's the greatest reality show on earth.
Never thought of MB as a reality show, but now that I think about it... You may be on to something. Made me laugh.

Oh, how I wish I could go!

#38 ·
I may be crazy here, but I thought that you had to know everyone on your permit. You could probably sneek it as long as you don't post it on the internet where a ranger could see it. (It would be a bummer if you did all the planning, showed up at the put-in and they didn't let you go on a technicality.) Fortunately for the rangers, they can make an example out of one group, because it is relatively certain it will get posted on the 'net for others to learn from.
You might want to check on this. (I might be remembering the legalities of having a high stakes poker game.)

#42 ·
Hello,
My name is Scott and I have a private permit for the Colorado river from March 4th to the 23rd (Lees Ferry to Diamond point). I have two friends that are very experienced river runners from Durango CO. One of them owns a rafting company and the other has worked many summers working for rafting companies. I am technically the trip leader but really Im just the permit holder. They have the experience and are the actual trip leaders and they will most likely make the important decisions for this trip.
Unfortunately none of their friends have the means or available time off to come on this trip of a lifetime. Luckily for some experienced river-runner, who has the time and a little extra money, we have some open spots and need your experience. If you are interested and would like more information please contact me as soon as possible, there are still 3 openings. Thank you
Scott,
You need to find that chick from last year, who posted an inquiry about going on a GC trip. You buzzards know what Im talking about. She posted her picture posing on a beach etc.. someone find that thread. a classic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.