Old 06-05-2006   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Need Advice planning Poudre Trip (6 24/25)

Heya folks,

I'm trying to plan a advanced-beginner trip for Pikes Peak Whitewater Club to the Poudre. We're based in Colorado Springs and many of us, most of us new folks, have never been there.

The run I'm thinking of doing is Filter Plant, possibly with "Lower Mish". These have been done by another advanced beginner over the weekend, and he made them sound fairly forgiving, even if the water is colder than what we experience on the Arkansas around here.

One of the things I'd like to know is where would be a convenient place to tent-camp.

Another thing I'd like to get from someone who knows the area is some good directions to the put-in and take-out.

Finally, if anyone feels like acting as a guide on this section, I'd love to hear from you.

Right now in my club, it looks like 6-8 people want to come. All of us will have good combat roll experience, and two or three people (that are confirmed at this point) are class IV+ experienced boaters. I'm fully expecting to have enough experienced boaters from my club to handle any swimmers. The trip will be cancelled if we don't.

What else should I know about this section of the Poudre aside from the temp being pretty cold (how cold? Anyone know?) water levels being high for the river right now?

The trip is tentatively planned for the last weekend in June. Will flows change appreciably between now and then? My report from a boater this weekend is that the Poudre Filter Plant is currently "thumping" with small eddies and some holes (that are easily avoided).

Dane Patterson
Pikes Peak Whitewater Club

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
I wouldn't drive all this way for just the filter plant. Its too easy. Your group sounds good enough. Plus its the most packed section on the river, full of tubers and gapers that like to stare at you. The take out is one big clusterfu@k. Lower mish is more action packed and lil more challenging. There are numerous pay campspots along the river, but a lot of the times they are filled by Friday afternoon-eveningish with fifth wheels and motorhomes.....true campers. You could get lucky though, but if there's a concert at mish that weekend than forget about it. And we like our water extra chilly so you may need a layer or two. And dont cross over the centerline when your staring at our kickass river. Lots of traffic in the canyon, esp on weekends.

gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Filter plant would be a good warm up for lower mish. It has swift current, and a couple of rapids to see if folks are ready for lower mish. If folks are swimming on filter plant, I'd stay away from lower mish. As for lower mish, keep an eye on folks and boats. Had a swimmer there last year at 4 feet and the boat went a long way and our group ended up splitting up. Yard sales might result in lost gear as the water is pretty continuous. There are a couple of beefy III rapids that could be big for beginners. If they are gung ho and have a roll go for it, it should be fun.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #4
i dont think that bridges is that much harder than lower mish, and the rapids/play is much better on bridges at most flows. As long as everyone knows what to do at killer bridge you should be fine.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
True that, Bridges is no harder at all than lower mish. Greyrock bridge and killer bridge are pretty simple to miss. Even for beginners....maybe not day one beginners or anything....but dont skip bridges just cause they're there. Just take the left side down killer bridge and they'll be fine.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #6
"Lower Mish". These have been done by another advanced beginner over the weekend, and he made them sound fairly forgiving
Lower Mish - forgiving? It's a fun run but it's far from forgiving if they make some mistakes in the wrong places. They should have a good combat roll or like it has been stated, that gear is going for a ways before getting hauled in. There is just not a lot of very calm water on that run as compared to the Filter Plant.

Filter Plant is OK but again, it's pretty short. Most people re-shuttle and run it twice. If they do well in Mad Dog then they should be pretty much OK on LM.

Whatever you run - it's COLD since it was snow only a few hours before. Dress for a swim and they should survive.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #7
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Waaaay FUN

Hey Dane! Where ya' been?
We just got back from the Poudre. Filter Plant was actually a lot of fun. The water was right around four feet, so everything was moving pretty fast. It's a pretty good float for advanced beginners right now. Unfortunately, we had some long boat chases because there really aren't many eddies at that level. I didn't do Lower Mish, but they had some long, nasty swims on that one too. At four feet it's really moving and when there's no place to get out it can get pretty damned cold if you're swimming. On Sunday, we thought we'd take some people down an easier run and build up some confidence for them. Well, we decided Sleeping Elephant would be good for this. Bad, bad choice. Everyone that had done it before said that they could sleep through it. At four feet it turned out to be a lot of fun (the first half, anyway) - definitely not a snooze, but not so much for our beginner who ended up hiking out after the fourth swim. I don't think it is worth running when the water drops, so if you have the time you should check it out soon. It is really beautiful up there.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #8
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There are some big holes to avoid on lower mish that will flip beginner or low intermediate boaters. Most notable is sara's hole at the beginning of the run (skirt river left). My advice is to have someone along who knows the runs to make sure the newbies take the right line or at least an experienced boater who has at least done them for the first time the day before. Lower mish is III+ at current water levels. Bridges is about the same difficulty but has the extra hazard of killer bridge.

afox is offline   Reply With Quote