Old 06-27-2006   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Multi-Day Arkansas Trip

I'm seeking some info on making a multi-day raft trip happen on the Arkansas. I've looked in the Colorado Rivers and Creeks book to read up on the individual sections, but have some additional questions, such as:

Are there any obstacles between the described runs, such as a low bridge?

Where to camp?

I'll be doing it this weekend in a 14' boat.

Thanks in advance!

mountaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
P.S. - Anyone interested?

Old 06-27-2006   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Everything from the Numbers through Royal Gorge is raftable if you're a competent III/IV oarsman. People raft Granite/Pine Creek but if you don't want to do the rapid, portaging is just not worth the run plus the Dam above is a portage. Other than that, everything is doable. When are you going? I might be up for a trip.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #4
colorado springs, co formally al
Send a message via AIM to j83soldier
when were you planning on going and how long of a trip were u planning on making it
j83soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #5
Vail, Colorado
All sections are congruent and runnable. If you start above the numbers and go through to Brown's Canyon there is a Dam after the BV play hole. Stay river left and T up. Have everyone sit in the boat for safe measures. We run it commercially all the time. As for camp spots there are tons all along the sides before you enter Brown's Canyon, just make sure they are public and not private. Easy to tell, the private people douche the land with signs next to the river. Make sure you are there after the main day of rafting and leave before the rafting day begins, those are used as lunch spots for commercial trips and I am not sure they would like it too much if there were tents there, but they would get over it. A good site is rite before you get to the bridge before pinball on river left, "The Zoo". You can run all the way to Salida and take out by the play hole. There is another dam with a man made slot on river left, just look for signs. Good luck and have fun.

"You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him." -Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado
Thank you all for the info. I am going to head up this weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but have changed my mind on doing a multi-day this week, as I haven't oared in about four years and have not seen the Ark for about six years. I don't want to flip with a bunch of gear on there. I'm just going to camp and explore the individual sections to get my feet under me. Historically, I've only run Brown's in paddle set-ups; I've never rowed it and have never seen Pine Creek, the Numbers or the Gorge sections. I figure I will be able to find some people to link up with and lines to follow on the busy 4th weekend. I'll explore the Gorge a little later. Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2006   #7
Vail, Colorado
I would take your gear with you and check it out. You should be able to do Brown's, only running 1000 cfs these days. Rig to Flip and good luck.
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been running Brown's lately by launching late, camping out and getting on the river by about 9 or so. This is a great way to avoic the crowds. Steve's right about the campsites at "the Zoo," aka "Hippo Rock," at the end of the long straight section just above the RR Bridge above Canyon Doors. Unfortunately the commercials often send out the camp/gear boat early in the day and snag those sites for their overnights. This was the case Monday night as both of those campsites were occupied, as was the Brown's Creek (just above Zoom Flume) campsite when we passed on Tues. am.

If you want to get back into the hang of oaring on Class II, try the Milk Run (Launch at WAO in Johnson Village and go to Ruby Mt.) or the runs either below Stone Bridge to Salida or between Salida and Rincon. Stone Bridge to Salida is mostly a float and Salida to Rincon has good Class II water with one or two fairly easy Class III rapids. We found that the camping is VERY limited on this reach however and is often in plain view of the highway (just WHERE do you put the groover!?!?!?). Many of the riverside campsites are also accessible by car so you'll have to compete with car campers and drive-up fishermen for good sites.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some more resources.

-Andy H.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #9
canon city, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
mulitiday arkansas trip

you dont need camping gear to go from pine creek to canon city,a credit card should suffice.

cayce weber is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas