Old 03-30-2011   #11
Summit County, Colorado
We typically do Dewey to Take Out. We did it early season a couple of years ago and hit NASTY headwinds and snow before we even got to Hittle. We stopped at Hittle because it was so bad, and my husband tried hitch hiking back up to Dewey, pfd on, and never got a ride, but a lot of strange looks. I wouldn't count on hitch hiking. He showed up hours later with our truck and a really pissed off look on his face. We were shocked that no one would pick him up. We did, and always do, have a shuttle for the car, but due to the weather had to change it up a bit and try the hitch hiking route.

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I have picked up Hitchers on tha road who have been waiting over an hour. If the wateris low and slow and you get a late start you will NOT get a ride after dark.

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #13
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
There's only one river I'm confident regardless of time of day I can hitch a ride -- white salmon in WA. Those locals are really cool and I guess the shout out goes to the kayakers who have earned their trust by respecting the area
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #14
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
If you are there in the off season and during the week you could be waiting a long long time for a ride. I waited well over an hour while holding a sign that said "Hittle Bottom" and everybody just gave me strange looks and drove on by. I finally ended up getting a ride with some kayakers who happen to be taking out (the only other folks I saw on the river that day). This was in late September.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #15
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Hitching from Hittle to Dewey is completely different then From the ramp to Hittle Bottom. The time of day is important. Between 8 and 10am there is alot of traffic. There is considerably more traffic between the ramp and Hittle.
Sure I've waited an hour before as well. Although most of the times, 5-10 minutes is all it takes. And I usually have a dog with me.

Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote