Old 01-23-2011   #1
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Moab area in early August?

So the spouse and I were trying to come up with some vacation plans for the family this summer. We're thinking of a road trip that starts in WA and goes through the Yellowstone area and then down to Moab. I've been on a few guided trips before in the area years ago and now we have kids to think about. Frankly I'd love to leave them all w/ Grandma but if we do that, we can only do a day trip around Moab. If we bring them (ages 5-9 all with river experience) we could do a longer trip.

Not bringing a boat (limited space) so not sure entirely what my options would be in the area. I want to have lots of fun and not be bored to tears by a flatwater trip if we have to take the kids.

You folks that know the area- what do you think? Any water down there that time of year?

Suggestions? I'm open to nearly anything!

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Hot as hell in Aug (god hates utah i think). Westwater is great but 5 is a little young (I have seen it done on private trips - but no commercial outfitter would take a 5 year old).

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011   #3
North Bend, Washington
Yeah, I know 5 is young. That's where the "grandma" comes in if needed. She can take the cherub(s) if it's only a day trip. I know it's gonna be hot, but I'm working the rivers up here in the PNW until Aug. I like getting paid to play....
Old 01-23-2011   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you want to take the kids, the Colorado has a couple of options. You can rent rafts in Moab and Fruita so an overnight on Westwater or the Moab Daily run is a possibility, and mid-week Westwater permits are easier to get. Though the rapids on the Daily aren't very challenging and it would be great for the kids. And its right there in Moab so you won't be driving 2-3 hours to get on the water. You could run from Dewey Bridge and make an overnight of it with a morning hike before getting back on the river to finish the trip.

Westwater can also be run as a day trip.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #5
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Not to beat a dead horse but yes it is ungodly hot in Moab that time of year. I mean like 100 plus degrees hot and the sun is just brutal. The wife and kid will hate you.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you are going to be in Moab in August, the river is the only place to be. Be aware that hot is REALLY hot!. Have an umbrella, drink your cold beverages within 5 minutes, don't step on the sand barefoot (or let it come over the top of sandals) and don't expect a swim in the river to cool you off. It's doable, but can be challenging especially with small kids.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #7
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Did Westwater last two Augusts. No one is afraid to get splashed, that's for sure. One perpetual squirt gun fight that you lose on purpose.

The remarkable thing was not that it was 100+ degrees, but that it was that hot at 2am.

Check out Adventure Bound in GJ for a guided Westy trip for the whole fam. They offer the raft-supported duckie experience. No hassle with rental boat, catered lunch, kids safe in the guide's raft, and you're flippin' in a duck. good times.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011   #8
North Bend, Washington
Awesome guys- I really appreciate the feedback. I know it'll be hotter than Hades (been in Zion and Bryce in Aug before)- but this is a first w/ the kids.

And yep- my husband will prob complain about how hot it is- he's a big wuss in the heat. I boat more than he does. So any tips on making it tolerable for him besides lots of sunscreen and shade?
Old 01-25-2011   #9
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
If you're coming from the PNW, it'll be a real shock (I used to live in Seattle and make yearly trips to Moab). Spend a couple days acclimatizing - drink tons more than you're used to, suck down electrolytes, and relearn how to sweat before going out on a multi-day trip. Your PNW body won't be sending the correct dehydration warnings to your brain. I'd consider drinking an electrolyte drink instead of water on the trip. If you're looking for more shade than a typical umbrella, check out my sig.

Mountain Buzz Sponsor
jeffvdgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #10
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Hubby doesn't like heat? From the PNW?

Sounds like me, but I live at 5k feet in Idaho. My car won't even let me turn south that time of year. Cannot imagine.

Go raft the main Salmon. There are several sections that are kid and heat friendly. And not surface of the sun hot.

My two cents. You couldn't pay me to go there in August.

Not what you want to hear, but there it is....

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote