Mountain Buzz banner

Missoula, Montana

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mudhut 
#1 ·
Going to be in Hamilton, MT for two weeks for a work trip. Are there any rivers or play areas still flowing? Is Clark's fork good to go? Anyone want to show a beginner/intermediate kayaker their favorite places to go?

Judd

#2 ·
I understand that the alberton gorge (clark's fork) is always goin'. It's about 45 minutes from town, great play. The play wave in Missoula was fun in mid-June, I'm sure there's something left of it, if only a blast n spin hole. Call Edge-of-the-World in Missoula. The guys there are the shit. They'll fill you in on what's running, etc. Hang out at the play wave in town for a few hours and you'll no doubt meet some yakers to take you down something local. Say what's up to chucky the pink helmet mofo if you see him. good people.

Have fun. Throw back a few at Charlie's.

Peace-
-Dan

#4 ·
I heard that Brenan's Wave isn't too great right now, but the play on the Clark Fork gets really good at low water. I'd recommend the lower section of Alberton Gorge. It's about 30 miles west of Missoula on I-90. Take exit 70 and drive on the frontage road until you see a bridge about 5 miles down. Hike down at the bridge and take out 4 miles later when you see a wood ladder on river right. Skip the raft put-in at Syr because it's flat water and you'll only be able to hook up with rafters. The Clark Fork is only Class II-III, but the play is really good right now. I was there today. :D

#5 ·
I went to Missoula last night. Brennen's wave is flowing, good for learning flat spins and cartwheels, not an awsome wave right now, but it is pretty good considering how low the water is. According to locals, Alberton gorge is running, class III right now and is a lot of fun. Look forward to checking it out this weekend. Thanks for the info y'all.

Judd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.