Mountain Buzz banner

Milk Run Partner-August 21

Tags
august
3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  abreibart 
#1 ·
I am a beginner kayaker looking to do Milk Run on Arkansas River this Sunday. If interested, drop a line. Thanks, Andrew

#2 ·
Hi Andrew, I think the MilkRun is going to be pretty boney at this flow and be "technical" to a beginner.!!
If you can I would try the Grizzly to Two Rivers Park in Glennwood Springs, fun enough for a beginner to start technical skill development, deep enough for rolls or roll practice and not so much stress, plus the beautiful canyon!
Had a friend/beginner get worked in MilkRun at this flow cause he couldn't pull his roll off due to shallow water.
Hope this helps,

#5 ·
Yeah, but generations of Salida playboaters have taken their first feeble strokes and swims on that stretch....the water leading up to the dam is flat like a lake making it super easy to tell it's coming (with well marked signs for the portage), or it's a great environment for a confident beginner to step up to an easy pool-drop rapid.

I know a couple old-school Salida boaters that run these stretches on the regular....I could probably hook you up if your still looking for beginner boating partners?

Logan

#8 ·
Andrew,

I'm a beginner also, 6 total runs (in the last 3 weeks); Big Bend to Salida 4 times, Salida to Salida East once, and Salida to Rincon once. Big Bend to Salida is a good run to build confidence, and I never felt like I was out of my comfort zone. Stay right at the put in and for about the next 1000m to not get stuck on the low water rocks, then stay left the whole way to the dam. Watch for little ripples (low water rock beds), mostly in the middle of the river. A good arm workout if you get stuck. At the dam, you can get out and scout the 3 boat chutes. The first drop throws you a little to the right, so angle a little left (maybe like 10 o'clock) going in to be lined up for the second drop, and the third drop is a gentle slide. You'll probably drag a little after the third drop, and there is an eddy to the left at the end. If you don't feel comfortable, the protage is easy and short around the 3 chutes. I swam the first time, but that is because I wasn't lined up correctly. If you swim, there is an eddy on each side in the chute area. A lot calmer than it looks. I was able to pull my boat to the side without the assitance of my instructor. All the other times going down, I didn't swim. Going into Salida, watch for a few places with low hanging trees and branchs on the right, it is easy to steer around them. The first playboat wave in Salida has a second little wave to it. I assume it is due to the low water, I didn't notice it the first 3 times we went down that run. Just pay attention, it can grab you if your not aware. This run takes about 1.5-2.5 hours depending on how much paddling you do. A nice finish after a break in Salida is Salida to Salida East. Nothing more strenous or increase in CL, just some faster water. This takes about 45 minutes and the take out is free. Big Bend, if you leave a vehicle is a $7 charge.

Have Fun,
JJ

#10 ·
Hey Andrew, do you have any flexibility in your schedule? I talked with some friends from Salida and they are planning to do a float with some beginners on Saturday....if you could make it you would be welcome to join....think I might float along too. Not sure what time or what stretch, but it will be beginner appropriate. I will be working all day today, but shoot me a text if you think you can paddle Saturday.

Logan 719-229-9333

#11 ·
Andrew,

My daughter and I are picking up some gear at CKS SAT MORN from their big sale last week. We are going to paddle Big Bend to Salida East. If you are switching to SAT, what time...we may tag along. We won't need any support, so no impact on the personnel assisting you. We could probably be at the put in around 12:00pm/noon.

JJ

#12 ·
Andrew,

My daughter and I are picking up some gear at CKS SAT MORN from their big sale last week. We are going to paddle Big Bend to Salida East. If you are switching to SAT, what time...we may tag along. We won't need any support, so no impact on the personnel assisting you. We could probably be at the put in around 12:00pm/noon.

JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.