Mountain Buzz banner

Milk Run/Browns this weekend?

Tags
browns
4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  bobbuilds 
#1 ·
Anyone planning on running Milk Run and or Browns canyon this weekend who would be willing to take a 14 year old along? I have pretty good combat roll and have 10 or so days of class 2 in and I'm hoping to try something a little bigger.
Shoot me an email at campbell80439@gmail.com if you are interested.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Based on what you posted, I strongly suggest you do not run Browns this weekend. Browns at 2700 is a very different animal than Browns at 1200 or less. Swims will be much longer at 2700 and the waves are very large and powerful at this level. Even the milk run will have some big waves at this level for the first mile or two after WA, albeit if you are going to go, this is a much better option if you've only done class 2.

#4 ·
I agree with Denali. At these flows the swim in Browns can easily be considered class IV. Even the Milk Run has a lot of class III at 2200-2500. My suggestion would be to head downstream to the Salida area. Run Big Bend to town. Run Rincon. Run Stonebridge. Then come up to the Milk Run. If all of these go well then try to hook up with a crew for Browns..... or go check it out on a raft and make your own evaluation....

#7 ·
If it is not too late, and you haven't opted out for the milk run, I will show you down.

My wife and I will paddle it Saturday. Send me a text at 720-291-6945

It is big waves right now.

Do you have a roll? What class 2 have you done? Are your parents around? I will take you down milk run, it'd be great if an adult was at the put in with you, I can show you from up on the hill what the water will be like, you can see it from the fence line.

Bob

#8 ·
Would any of you with big water Ark experience consider Stone Bridge, Big Bend, or Rincon class 2 at these flows? Is there decent access for a 15' raft? We're looking for a family float and it sounds like the Milk Run isn't a great idea now for young kids.

#9 ·
Many BV locals will still take their kids down the Milk Run at these flows in a raft, but only if they are familiar with the run because as mentioned the banks are lined with brush that essentially make strainers at high water...

Stone Bridge, Big Bend and Rincon are all class II runs still at current levels, just a big water type class II. The river is wide and you can easily avoid all features except Squaw Creek on Stone Bridge, the dam and boat chute on Big Bend and Bear Creek on Rincon. Each of these spots is currently solid III. The choice to take your children down any of these runs should be based on your experience, their experience and age and the availability of additional safety in the case of a mishap.

#10 ·
For those of you looking for a moderate float with kids at these flows, I suggest the Roaring Fork River from Carbondale to Two Rivers Park in Glenwood Springs. It is a nice long float with a few sections of decent waves and has good ramps at both ends. It is a step down in intensity from anything on the Ark at the moment but a step up in safety and piece of mind with kids on board. Charmaine at Charm River Shuttle (970-379-3966) can provide a reliable shuttle for you. This is a worthy family float for sure.

#12 ·
Pink to Black and Cemetery on the RF

Duckins. The lower RF from Black Bridge to GWS is called Cemetery. It is pretty pushy right now with very few eddies. Many of the rapids are washed out but the actual Cemetery rapid is pretty big right now. Today the waves were 4-5' and there are some big holes. I would not consider the lower part (Cemetery Rapid proper) a family float at these levels.

The upper section is called Pink to Black. You put in at Carbondale and take out at Black Bridge. It is more of a float but that said, there is a lot of water moving through there and few eddies. There is a large Blue Heron rookery and an eagle's nest so the bird watching is great.

#13 ·
Duckins,
Heading south on Hwy 82 out of GWS, the turnoff to the ramp is on the right before you get to the traffic light at the bridge crossing the Roaring Fork and heading to Carbondale. There is a small sign that is easy to miss. If you miss it you can turn around and catch it while heading north on Hwy 82.

As jones boater points out, the waves in Cemetery Rapid get to be good sized at these flows but nothing is too complicated and if you have some experience and are in a good raft and keep it straight it is a fun ride. That said, everyone must make their own call about what is right for any trip given flows and trip participants. Taking out at the Black Bridge ramp is an option to avoid the waves lower down, but the section below this is the most fun. There aren't a lot of eddies right now since the river is moving fast. Watch out for the bridge abutments. High water and fast flows means hard to recover from a mishap and a swim would be tough, especially for youngsters.

It is a half day float from Carbondale to Two Rivers right now and is about cut in half by Black Bridge. You can get a good look at the river at Black Bridge and at the Carbondale ramp but not much else along the way.

Be safe and wear those PFDs no matter what.

#16 ·
Glad you guys had a blast. Anyone out there want to take another couple of first-timers down the Ark? Looking to do milk run/fractions Thursday afternoon the 29th, open to other stretches. Would like to do Browns the 30th or 1st. Class 3 kayakers. Have ample shuttle room and refreshments on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.