Last wood report was that there was a fair amount of it on Marsh Creek with at least one river wide blockage (snow and wood), and one 90%. Of course with the rising water the only sure bet is that some wood will move and some will stay put. We have a permit for the 18th. Hoping for a more updated wood report so we can make a go/no go decision.
Here is the report from the Idahowhitewater yahoo group:
May 5th Trip Report
Posted by: "Rob" sotarfboater@****.com
Sat May 7, 2011 4:15 pm (PDT)
Preface: Running 9.5 foot Tributary (Aire) round boats. Ran Marsh last year in 15.6 round boat on May 12th MF gauge 2.7.
6:30am Arrived Capehorn. Gauge that morning was reading 2.71. Level on Marsh was 30% less than last year.
7:20am Launch Capehorn Creek, walked boats to Marsh. In and out of boats several times.
Mile .90: Same tree that was down last year is still blocking 90% of the creek. Small boats just skirt by.
Fish Trap: No issue at this level. Issue will be clothes-lining the cable across the river in high water.
Just below foot bridge: tree down blocking 75% of creek. No issue.
In between foot bridge and 5 miles: Chunk of Log jammed in small channel. (If my memory serves me correctly, I think this was there last year, but last year there was enough water flowing over that only the 16' Cat got hung up. This year, had to push boats over log and partially through snow bank.
***Mile 5.11: Big Log(s) across 100% of creek with 90% covered in a snow bridge. There was just enough room to lift the small boats over the log.
11:30am Confluence with Bear Valley.
One Tree Down just below Confluence. No issue
Another tree down below that. No issue.
2:00pm Dagger Falls. Scout, said a little prayer and ran.
There was just enough water for us to run the small boats through. The top had three distinct drops. The slots were just wide enough for the 9.5 foot boats. The bottom at the bend had one moderate drop.
Boundary down to Indian: Straight foward. No tree at top of pistol, it is just below pistol. No issue.
8:00pm Indian Creek. Said hello, grabbed permit and jumped back on the river.
9:30pm Marble. Ran by sound. Used Headlamps to make it to Sun Flower.
10:15pm SunFlower. Soak, eat, crash!
Water came up 6 inches or so overnight. Water turned from clear to chocolate milk.
8:30am Depart Sunflower.
BIG Tree, I mean Big! down BELOW Stateland right. Only across 50% of river, but will be a serious strainer to avoid as water comes up. Hopefully the peak will not leave it in a worse place.
Everything was straight forward all the way to the confluence.
Note: Did test the flipability of the small boat in Weber. Was able to upright myself while floating down the river and was ready for the holes around the corner. ("note to self: cheat Weber in a 9.5 foot boat!")
Cheated Rubber hard right to stay the heck out of the "green room" in the small boats!
7:20pm Confluence. Threw the boats in the back of the truck and headed home after an absolutely awesome 36 hour trip.
Hope this helps!