Old 06-11-2009   #11
Emigrant, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
Funny, when I was last floated that was about 1997. I remember we'd been on the river all day when we finally got to the rapid, and my buddy said
"We are finally to the clucking rapid" so, i just remembered its name had something to do with Chickens.
thanks for the correction!

montanamusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #12
Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
The middle and north forks are both great runs. I've done the Middle fork from the Hwy 2 bridge to Blankenship Bridge and the North Fork from Polebridge to Blankenship Bridge, never floated below that.....I want to try the South fork as well, there is an access below the Meadow Creek gorge that is a walk-in (perhaps .25-.5 mile with a couple switchbacks) but you would probably be assured to be the only people on the river. The take-out is just before Hungary Horse res, or you can float into the res and have a 1 mile lake float to a boat takeout....

MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #13
Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
[quote=montanamusher;146639]I guided on that river for a few years, its absolutley beautiful. There are a few different sections. There is the classic wilderness section called "Shaffer Meadows" which you have to fly into. Its a awesome run, on par with the middle fork salmon, but shorter in days (2-3 days). Depending on water levels it can be a demanding Class IV float or just busy technical Class III-IV
This is the section that I was interested in from Shaffer Meadows down. I have a 15 foot sotar cat would you consider this boat to big. I have seen a few pictures and noticed in some of the shoots it looks a little narrow. Do you recall which flows it is the more demanding IV and which is the more III - IV stuff. I realy appreciatie any infromation I can get.
Sotar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #14
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Your 15' cat should be fine. I did that stretch last year from June 24 to 27 in my Aire 156R raft. It was an epic water year, so it was for sure a demanding class IV, but the snow level this year wasnt quite like last year. For the most part the water gets real skinny about the first or second week in July making it more of a class III rock garden. If you go too late in the year you will be dragging your boat more than oaring it. Call one of the guide companies to see how the river is doing up there. You can check the USGS gauges at Essex ( which is the closest gauge to the Schafer section) or at West Glacier. We are having a slow runoff year this year so you it should be good for a while. We used Red Eagle Aviation out of Kalispell to fly us in. It was about $350 per plane. Just a suggestion, if you do end up going, make the trip longer by taking out at the Essex bridge instead of Bear Creek. Adds only half a day, but some great water. Good luck.
andynbreana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #15
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
just say no to the flathead

well, the northfork is jammed up with logs and pissy locals, i know because im one of them, i will help you shuttle the middle fork though, i live on the river and am going to canoe it right now, its droppin steady, 20,000 a week and a half ago. 5000 today, northforks dry dry, stick to the middle, caio also i run 14 and 16 commercially on the middle so your boat should be fine 406-250-8890
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #16
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
How about July 20?

Originally Posted by Sotar15 View Post
I have been interested in floating the Middlefork of the Flathead for some time now but haven't had much luck on finding very much info. I was curious if anyone had done the river before and could shed some light on best times and flows, size of boats, shuttle services to use and where I could find any info about the river and things to watch out for etc. Thanks for any info.
Is July 20 a good time to do this trip? My wife, 11 y.o son and I are looking for a trip at that time. Got a cat and a raft and gear.
Are you putting together a trip

ahogenauer is offline   Reply With Quote