Old 04-16-2013   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Middle Fork May 1st-16th

Are you launching on the mighty Middle Fork of the Salmon May 1st –May 16th? If so please, please, PLEASE let me join your trip.
Who am I? Glad you asked. My name is Wade McKinney, I am a 24 year old college student living the dream in Durango, CO. I love working hard, meeting new people, and boatin! I am as easy going as they come, and a handy guy to have around. I will bring with me any group gear you would like me to bring, righteous pair of binoculars for the star parties, great attitude, lots of smiles, and a good time! Life is too short not to get the best out of every day!
So please give me a call, PM, or a Facebook shout out so we can get to know each other better!
Best Wishes,

Gettin some!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brown.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	6025  

wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #2
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
The dates that you are looking for will most likely require a Marsh Creek Put-In. Are you familiar with this run? It has killed many in the past mostly due to logs in the channel. This particular creek is the only way to access the MFS other than snowmobile trips into boundary in the early season and this past summer the canyon above marsh creek burned horribly. This spring will most likely be one of the most dangerous times to float marsh in recent memory due to the number of burned dead trees that have fallen all the way across the channel and into the creek. If we get some big rain storms the chances for landslides and washouts off the burned soil are very likely which could also result in new features in the creek itself. I think that myself and a number of early season boaters are waiting to hear some more information (spring boater reports) and what not. Someone will go down the river here in the next couple of weeks and we should know more. If you don't find a group to join you can always camp out on the Payette system for a week and have a blast.

When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Much obliged

Awesome reply, thank you. I do know about Marsh Creek, but I did not think about last years burn and strainers are probably my worst fear. My home runs are the Upper Animas and Piedra, so I believe Marsh Creek style plays to my strengths.

With that said I am still interested in the trip if the spring reports come out OK. So Buzzards please still keep me in mind.
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #4
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by 6FEETandRISING View Post
The dates that you are looking for will most likely require a Marsh Creek Put-In. Are you familiar with this run? It has killed many in the past mostly due to logs in the channel.
Unspeakable horror, the death trap of all rivers. Nobody makes it out alive....

You may very be able to drive in. Who knows, you might even get a cancellation if the river is "6FEET and RISING"
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There was some discussion on Idaho Whitewater a week or so ago. The reports are of LOTS of trees down across Marsh, and the need for recon was noted.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #6
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Not that I trust but they do show a bunch of the burned terrain ( apparently) I hope this link works. Look to the left of the road ..... does that mean these were backfires of some sort or just the way the aerial map updated.....I will found out.,-14.901,0,0

Matt's guidebook overlay shows the fire boundaries but doesn't really show severity of burn in that area.

You can bet I will be poking around in there or trying to get my buddy with plane for an overflight first week of May. May photos will be taken if this happens. Hopefully mid day to get as much light as possible down in the steep sections where it slides a bit.

Fire progression map from 9/24/12

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote