Old 03-04-2014   #1
Going on a MFS trip at the beginning of July. I have an LL XP-10. Was thinking of using it. We have a few cats so I don't have to carry anything but my personal gear. Anyone take one down. I know lots of folks take them down the GC, that's what I got it for but borrowed a kayak when I went down the GC so didn't use it yet. I am a solid boater. What say you guys who have used it there. Or should I just take my Burn.

bigwaterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
No too familiar with that LL boat, but I would think you would want a surf machine. Depending on when it comes off ( the runoff that is) it could be epic surf levels. Lots of short, steep catch on the fly waves. Especially in the lower canyon.

But I am mostly a fat rafter these days so who knows.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #3
It's been done by good paddlers, fully loaded self support. They ran everything when the gauge was roughly 6.5, and Dagger went fine. However, they were solid paddlers.

If you haven't paddled the boat yet, I would take it out for a run or two before day one of MFS. All 10' self-support kayaks will feel more like a tank than your sporty river running Burn.

A lightly loaded Burn, or empty Burn, would be fun for soul surfing the big waves, and still give you nice stability in the larger rapids.

If you are comfortable in a smaller boat, and, if you have raft support, and since it's July, I would seriously try to give all of your gear to the rafters and surf every wave.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #4
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991

There is no reason to have a SS boat if you have rafts along. You will appreciate the turning, surfing, familiarity. There is no flat water to speak of where the length and speed would be welcome. in July of a normal snow year I would even prefer a playboat if class IV was comfortable. Lots of little surfs and tight moves but nothing huge and crushing.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
unless its a full-on SS trip, take the burn, or find a comfortable riverplay boat...
I was lucky enough to take my old 4fun down at 2.25' in august 2011, and It was a blast...! I would have wanted a river runner if ther was more water,(im a class III-IV paddler) but it was warm, clear water in august, and there is definitely lots of play...4fun or similar is pretty ideal, not tooo slow, but still playful enuff.
I also traded off and rowed some afternoons so my buddy (who was carrying my gear) could SUP, and i got to stretch the legs, dry out and drink beer... great trade off, and i got to do all the good stuff in a little boat, since the "flats' were ideal for SUP'pin...
btw, bring a snorkel & mask for the underwater canyon by the bridge @ halfway down (if the water is low)....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #6
Got it and just was told that a cat will take all my gear. I am taking a Fluid Spice. River/play boat.
bigwaterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #7
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I think you'll be happy on the MFS in the Spice. The last three runs I've done have all been in a Jackson SuperFun (river runner/play). Last year's flow mid June was around 3' and it was nice to have a kayak that can do a bit of everything.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote