Old 03-09-2011   #1
Mexican Hat Camping

On a previous San Juan trip we camped at the Sand Island put in the night before we left. This year we are putting in at Mexican Hat and don't have that direct option. I have done a search and the consensus is (and I agree, having been there, especially with a 4 year old) that illegal camping at the put in is not good. If we can't find room at Goosenecks State Park, does anyone have any other or pay as long as it is cool? Just as an aside, the "Swinging Steak" and a cold tecate' after a shower is about as good it gets to end any river trip.
Thanks in advance for any camping advice...

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Valley of the Gods

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #3
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
You can also take the dirt road to the "hat" it is a bit gnarly, but there is riverside camping. If you camp via a raft you need a permit. If it is car accessible you do not. It gets to be a "party spot" with the locals.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Wait a minute... camping at the Mexican Hat put-in is illegal?

Well, damn. We've camped at the put in the last two years before our launch. There's been plenty of traffic and we've had no problems.

I guess I'd be interested in a new spot, too.
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #5
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Goosenecks. Not too far away and great views.
"Nothing says dirtbag like a mylar pillow with a spigot."
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
The Valley of the Gods suggestion is a great one - nearby, really beautiful, lots of free established campsites with fire rings. The climbing is good too if you don't mind some bands of kitty litter rock.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #7
Plenty of space at Goosenecks. Super cool view/perspective of the river your gonna run the following day.
Big Da
Big Da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #8
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
goosenecks has had space when we've been there (only people there), but it was also June and over 100 degrees with no shade. totally brutal. Valley of the gods is a good idea, but I still prefer to just stay at Sand Island and drive to MH in the AM.

we're looking at doing another early summer family San Juan trip, but we got shot down in the lottery...hoping for cancellations.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011   #9
As my almost 4 year old says whenever he can refer to "Diego" "Gracias Amigos"!!
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #10
To my knowledge it not illegal to camp at the launch, only frowned upon because it is a local party spot. I have seen/ heard that it is illegal but when I asked the Monticello office they stated the aforementioned policy.

I also plan to stay at Sand Island the night before.

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote