Old 02-20-2009   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I paid $650 last spring, but we went all the way to South Cove. We did our own food, rented almost nothing as a group, but we did do a kick ass shuttle, one bus an done flatbed, pretty sweet, all the way to and from Flag. No booze included.

If you REALLY want to get some folks to go, post over at the GCPBA yahoo group. There are always folks looking over there, you might even search some of the old posts as there have been some folks shopping for trips. Some of the people I would recommend, some of them I wouldn't.....

There's also the RRFW yahoo group.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mid March could be a great time to be in the Canyon. Average high for March at Phantom is about 71, right around the equinox so a reasonable length of daytime sun. No Commercial trips, no motor trips. You basically have the canyon to yourself - over 21 days you might see 5 or 6 other trips, and you will probably spend a few days at a time w/o seeing anyone else. It is hard to describe how amazing it feels to be in the Grand Canyon and have it be your own private place to play. Not that we weren't willing and happy to share, just that the feeling of having this treasure to yourself is phenomenal. We went last Oct 29th - so mostly a November trip. Similar high temps on average to mid march. We had slightly shorter days, but it isn't a big deal, you just cook dinner in the dark. The first 6 or 7 days for us were in the 80's - simply gorgeous. After that it cooled down to mostly 60's and some 50's, we had one cold and windy day, we laid over, so stayed in camp, a few of us spent the day hiking to Dox Castle. It froze overnight at the put in, but never after that. Our last two days heated up again, some of us rode out the first couple hours on top of the trailer w/o shirts. Sad to be leaving the canyon, but with a beer in hand and the sun on my skin, it was a beautiful day.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #13
Hey Cadster,

What do you know about a closer take out this spring?Anywhere to go read about it?

Originally Posted by cadster View Post
You can skip the Haulapai fees by doing another 75 miles and pay less for the shuttle, too. The Grand Canyon continues for 50 of those miles although most of it has been flooded in the past be Lake Mead. At current lake level's only about five miles are without current. There's talk by May you'd only have to do 55 miles below Daimond Creek.

A small group shouldn't have to pay the $550 shop cost, but just do it themselves.
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Some companies are talking about it, but I'm not in the loop right now... off season ya know? They want to put a road in above Pearce Ferry rapid. The jetboats are concerned about being able to make it up and down the rapid as the lake drops. If they are not able to make it up or down, all companies that usually put the people on jetboats will have to run out past Pearce with their passengers. The companies are trying to work something out with Lake Mead NRA to put a road through the tammies. Imagine how much fun a takeout on a wet day on the silt flats will be?
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #15
Boulder, Colorado
CanyonEJ is on the money. The talk was for it to be done in March. The Grand Canyon Yahoo groups haven't posted any final confirmation or completion dates yet.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #16
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
: [gcpba] Pierce Ferry New Road?

My last communication with the project personnel indicated:
1. The hoped-for completion was as you say, "the end of April,"
2. No new plan information was presented at the most recent meeting
(which I did not attend) because the final plan was pending the final survey.

Given all of that I think that no firm date for opening of the road
can be determined at this time. I'll try to stay current on the construction.

Dave Yeamans,
GCPBA Board of Directors

gcpba Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association
superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #17
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by boatmusher View Post
A friend of mine got a cancellation permit for March 15. For a variety of reasons, no one in our boating circle is able to make the trip. We considered going down the river just as 1 boat but... However, we feel the risk vs. reward is not to our liking. So... Anyone interested in a Grand trip? The cost will be around a $1000. 21 days trip taking out at Diamond. So let me know.
That's great time to go! I went March 21 last year. If I didn't already have a spring trip I'd try to join you. Write me privately of you need clothing tips, etc.

I've been in spring, summer, & September. I'll take the spring weather over those others anytime, given a choice. Anybody who's thinking about joining them stop thinking and tell the boss you've got a sick relative who needs your care for a few weeks.

Good luck getting a group together.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009   #18
durango, Colorado
I am interested in going, and could possible get some friends to join if there's still room. Let me know
buzzbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009   #19
Winter Park, Colorado
Lake Mead

Look into taking out at Lake Mead. Saves tons of money and you get a few extra rapids. Soon we wont be able to raft down to Lake Mead do to water dropping. If you have the gear and shop at the Walmart in Page food is cheap. We went down for about 600 a piece including everything, even the beer!
Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009   #20
Anacortes, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
need another?

I just got done with a 30 day trip all the way to Pierce Ferry... assuming you've got a cool group, I'd love to go down again. No problem with the money, and I can either row a boat, or kayak. I might be able to get a raft of my own, I would prefer if there were at least two rafts along. If it's still an option, I'd love to know the details- so amazing down there!

Ryan Albery is offline   Reply With Quote