Old 03-19-2008   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Great panoramic picture of the route. Looking at that picture it seems like you had a bit more water than we did, and it also looks easier than my minds recollection. I was worried about hitting the slightly underwater gravel bar downstream of strainer #1 and failing to make my ferry to set up the move between strainers #3 and #4. The picture of you running it on your second trip of the season (I am jealous of your 3 trips) looks like you are nailing the line and that my fears were probably unfounded.

Had any of the wood shifted by the time of your October run?
Sorry raftus your reply didn't show up for me until I was banging around today. Water was dropping some when we were there so I am not surprised it was a little lower.

The wood in the rapid hadn't really moved much, seemed like the flow moved some stuff around the picket fence of lodgepoles just below the entrance drop. Pretty visually intimidating stuff but actually pretty easy. There were about 100 trees in the river from powerhouse ( which burned ) to Pistol, just phenomenal amount of wood down.

Not that I can extend invites at this point, but whatcha doin June 19th? Do you know Dave Frank? He came up a couple of years ago and we had a blast

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I ran westwater with Dave late last season, he seems like a great guy. Hopefully his foot heals up soon so he can get in a full season of paddling. I am always interested in another MF run. Whitewater + Hot Springs + Beer + Friends new and old = Awesome.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #13
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I ran the MF last June at 3.5 ft. We put in at Boundary Cr. and I took a look at Dagger. I'm glad I didn't have to run it. The "dagger rock" looks like someone placed it exactly where it would rip out the floor of a raft. Does anyone know what level that rock gets covered up?

We had a really scary experience at Lake Creek. A 16' gear boat went sideways into the gigantic (20' circumference) rootball of the strainer at the bottom and pinned badly. Three people and a dog went under the logs, but everyone washed free, although one guy struggled to get through. He ended up on the log just down stream that lay parallel to the current. We spent three hours getting the raft free. The matter was complicated because of the distance from the right bank to the obstruction and the strong current. It took 18-20 individuals on the z-drag to manage to free the raft. The frame was badly damaged, as were all three oars, including the spare one. Everyone was ok, and we didn't lose anything; it was quite an experience though.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When I ran dagger far left there was a curler going left to right about ten feet off the left bank. At lower water that might be the dagger rock - but to be honest I have no idea. There is a Idaho whitewater group on yahoo groups. If you ask there you will probably get a answer from someone who knows. There are a lot of other lines in that rapid that are way burlier than the one I chose.

I am glad that everyone in your party was okay at Lake Creek. Logs and root balls are scary, and potentially deadly. Personally I fell like having passengers and dogs walk around rapids with potentially lethal consequences is something to strongly consider.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote