Old 05-30-2009   #1
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Main Salmon Shuttle Options

I have a mid-Aug Main Salmon permit. I have not done this trip before, and was wondering what the shuttle options are. I have heard Jet boating back up is a possibility. Has anyone done this? How do the costs compare to a car shuttle? How much do you have to limit your gear if you are doing this? I assume everything needs to be broken down? Can anyone suggest good car shuttle companies?
Thanks for the Beta.

Wnt2b0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Jet boating would be cool, but it's expensive. The upside is you get to run up the river and it only takes a couple hours, making for a shorter drive home. Salmon River Lodge is one company that does jet boat shuttles - their Lodge is just across the river from Corn Creek. (note the "Jet Back Info" in the document

As for vehicle shuttles - the less vehicles and more people per vehicle the less expensive the shuttle. We've used River Shuttles in the past and they're great.
River Shuttles Salmon, Idaho - Shuttle Rates & Info

Either way, the shuttle tends to be the most expensive part of a private trip.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've done both. I liked the jet boat much better. If you are traveling back to Colorado, you also end up saving a good amount of driving time. It was also more cost effective for us as we had several vehicles arriving from different locations.

Yes, you do have to breakdown your gear at the takeout. We had a 'gear' jet boat and a 'passenger' jet boat to accomidate our group. We went with the outfitter at the Buckskin Bill Museum. Here is a link: Jet Boat and Charters with Whitewater Expeditions on the Salmon River

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #4
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
i also used a Jet-boat. Some guy with a russian name ans slight accent. He was awesome. 5 people, 2 cats, 4 kayaks on one boat. no restrictions in gear, but he said we had the boat maxed.....especailly at 40,000 cfs.

Was fun as hell to run them rapids at that flow. ONCE OR twice you pray the boat has enough power.

Even if i was poor, i'd take the jet boat. i also live in Colorado and the added uneeded car time would've crushed me. I think it was $150/person? $750 total
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote