Old 07-11-2011   #1
West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Main Salmon shuttle?

We launch on the Main Salmon in a few days and are looking for input on the best shuttle route- would you drive Hwy. 21 through Stanley or Hwy. 12 along the Lochsa? Not sure if the mega-loads are plugging up the Lochsa route, it looks to be a little quicker though...

rrb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #2
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
We are putting in on the 14th and jetting back on the 20th. The jet back cost $140 per person (group of 13) and take 3-4 hours. Cheaper than shuttling cars, less wear and tear, and save us a day on the road. If you can't do that, Hwy 12 is probaly your best bet + you can drool at the Lochsa most of the way!

funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #3
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Most shuttles go via HWY 12. I just got back from the lochsa this weekend. The only signs of maga load activitiy that I have seen this year is at Lolo hotsprings. I've been down that way 5 times and never have any maga load issues at all. I can't even tell where they trimed the trees back on the HWY. Others may have different stories. I have always used the below site to book shuttles. always had good luck

Welcome to our website! | River Shuttles
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Jetboat is the only way to go. Its awesome to see all the rapids on the 3 1/2 hour ride back up and its not that much more expensive than a car shuuttle. Not to metion it adds another piece of excitememt to your trip.
bnskyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1975
On my first Salmon trip many years ago we drove our own shuttle. Never again. As I recall it was 10 hours one-way. We went north along the Lochsa. It was a beautiful drive, but it was sure long. I thought most of the shuttle services went south through Stanley.

I agree that the jet boat approach is really cool, but I don't agree that the cost is similar. It may depend on group size, but when I have priced it out the past several years it always comes out way more expensive.
DeeGardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #6
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Who is your favorite jetboat company???
SALRVRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #7
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
They are all excellent. Jim, at Arctic Creek, has a 30 footer (3 chevy 350s) that can accommodate a lot of people and gear--passes anything but a gas station! Salmon river lodge and Whitewater adventures have smaller twin engines. It really depends on your group size to figure out who to go with. All three will work together to accomadate your needs.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #8
Central, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Heinz and Barbara ... They are from buckskin bills and have been running that river since the 50s...used them 3 times for the jet back no problems what so ever...I think their contact number for a radio relay is 208-382-4336

IdahoJay is offline   Reply With Quote