Old 01-04-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Mail to phantom ranch????

Does anyone know how long it takes to send a package to Phantom ranch? 1-2-3 weeks?
I received mail there when I went down, but I have no idea how long the sender allotted so that I got it.

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #2
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
You can call the post office there but I used this mail service and if I remember correctly you should add about a week to standard mail. So two weeks max but call the postmaster at the Grand Canyon post office to find out for sure.

jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #3
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Not sure if the inbound mail takes the same amount of time as the outbound mail or not. But, I sent some post cards out from Phantom and they took 6 or 7 days to get to Denver.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Packages are no longer welcome to be received at phantom for river travelers. Letters are still fine to come and go, but there have been threats of mail no longer being accepted if packages continue to arrive. It's a bummer but there have been issues with post not getting picked up, so it sits indefinitely. They not only lack a good place to store a bunch of packages, but some folks were getting care packages on every trip- guide's moms were sending cookies. Once the mice figured it out things went down hill quick. Because of the gnarly condition of the river mail bin & it's overflow, ranch staff were not stoked to have to deal with the mess. Finally the increasing volume of incoming mail has made it harder for the mule service. Running extra mules to phantom is expensive and sending mules down with mail for free is less desirable than laden with a paying guest.
Not sure if there's still delivery service available at the moment-probably, but it may not be available soon. The issue is with packages, not letters...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the info - especiallly jmac. I hadn't thought about how the packages that weren't picked up would be a problem, but now it seems clear that that would be problematic. Thanks again!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote