Old 05-09-2013   #1
Lower Salmon at the end of July

I am debating between picking up a Deso-Gray (which we have done a few times and love it) cancellation or making the trip from CO to the Lower Salmon towards the end of July. I have not been on an ID river yet and this trip looks phenomenal. I would take my family including my 6 year old son, a veteran at this point of most of the CO and Utah multiday trips including Deso.
We are bummed out that the low use time that allowed dogs on Deso has been discontinued (no one enjoyed that trip more than our lab!) and are encouraged by Idaho rivers being tolerant of the pooches.
I am just curious if any has encouragement/discouragement, advice, etc. My concerns range from rowing higher volume water, dogs - kids and snakes (we live at 10,300' and don't have them - good news it is still snowing here! I just got in from F@#*^% shovelling again)
Thanks in advance for any input.

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #2
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have spent a lot of time bird hunting the canyon with my lab. I have only seen a hand full of small rattle snakes in all my travels. Odds are you wont come across one. But still be aware that they are indeed out there. Most labs are good with snakes. I don't think that the high volume of the river will be an issue at all that time of year. My concern would be the heat! Its gona heat up by 8 am and it really wont cool at all. Or that's what it will seem like. Bring your shade. IDK, you might be used to the heat and river is nice and cool!

My advise would be: forget about getting a super great camp. The outfitters got the skinny on nailing down camps and there are tons of outfitters. Tons of beaches too. Get on the water early and off early! Especially the last day out on the snake. A jet from the mouth to Lewiston is nice!

rocketbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #3
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
You will fine. My 7yr old has been down the lower 4 times already. I good boatman can read and run the river. Labs will love it, not much poison ivy on Lower. Water temp will be coming up by then as well.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #4
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
We were in the same boat in 2010 - drove up from CO to the Lower Salmon and it was totally worth it. Only drawbacks were 1) heat and 2) flat water once past the Snake confluence. Would definitely do it again.
"Nothing says dirtbag like a mylar pillow with a spigot."
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote