Old 08-18-2008   #1
low water numbers

Thinking of hitting the numbers/brown's this weekend (Aug 22-24). Looking at the graph, I'm thinking it may be down to 300-ish. Is this still good to go, or unboatable? What is the lowest flow that it is still fun and worth a 3 hr drive (I don't mind scraping along a bit).

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #2
oh yeah
go to gore. or bring a small creek boat and put in at pine creek and stop below #5. i've paddled it down to 200 something but it was early season, i was jonesing, and i live in salida. i wouldn't drive for it. go to gore.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
still boatable - questionable drive

I agree, I have ran numbers down to 175 and there is still a kayakable channel and some rapids - lots of rocks. Personally I don't run #5 below this level because it gets pretty gnarly, tougher I think than at higher flows, and the stuff below #6 gets super boney. Still worth running in the off season though. 300ish isn't too bad, still fun, but I don't know that I would drive too far...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #4
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
We ran #'s and pine in the low 200's at the end of last season and had a lot of fun. Guess it depends how much you get to boat in that area. We had only been up twice earlier that season. #'s was a lot more tech. A lot of pickin' your way through the rocks but still really cool. Definite change to this year hittin' it at around 1500 (i think). It was a cool level to do pine for the first time too. Not nearly as challenging.
As for the drive? Guess that depends on what you've got closer to ya. It was definitely worth it for us, but living in T-ride we're used to super-boney. That was a lot more water than we had around here at that time last season. I'm sure you'll have a good time.
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #5
Salida, Colorado

day before yesteday in an inflatable kayak. Plenty of flow and a hoot!
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #6
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
always fun

Pine thru #5 is always fun. Bring your play boat and practice new lines, slalom moves, micro eddies within the mank, and admire how channelized and deep the main lines are. Even down to 150cfs the channel in #1 is still about 10' deep, crystal clear, and a mesmerizing view to its depths. I think the river becomes captivating to the senses and imagination. Although 2650cfs is the classic definition of IV-V fun, the low levels are uniquely pleasurable as well. Yes there are other great runs still available now, but, especially if you are conveniently in the area, there is no need to rule out Pine thru #5. It is always a delight in my opinion. Enjoy it!
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Not to beat a dead horse, but pine creek is particularly grin inspiring at low water. Boofs, eddies, surf waves...I wish it went on for miles and miles.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #8
Thanks folks, despite the fact that no one else wants to go out there this weekend due to the low water, I'm headed out. I'm too chicken for Gore these days. I'm bringing a plastic slalom boat, and going to get some slalom practice in and try to avoid getting pinned. If anyone wants to join the fun call me. It's no fun having to hitch shuttle. I'm up for pine creek/numbers/Browns. My plan now is to be at the number 5 bridge at 11 am.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #9
Did it at 300 a couple days ago - lower than I've ever done it. It was fun, but #5 was pretty nasty. The rocks right in the middle of the main drop are pretty unavoidable and I got upside down and got beat up pretty good as on four roll attempts - every time I thought I was clear of the rocks, I'd hit another. I finally did what I don't do very often and pulled my skirt.
I'm not sure if I just screwed up the line or if it was unavoidable and I just didn't handle it well. I think I just didn't handle it very well...
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #10
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I logged on to the buzz specifically to tell people how much fun the numbers is at 300 then I found your post...

It was too much fun and not boney.

Hit it up.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote