Old 03-27-2010   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Looking for new kayak friends in Denver

My girlfriend and I just moved here both fairly new to kayaking looking for some new people in area to show around local spots that are easy maybe Clear Creek in Golden stuff like that. Anybody who would like some new company on day trips let us know we'd be willing to shuttle some to make friends.

rodgers712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #2
Golden, Colorado
This is a good place to hook up with people, but it is going to be another month or so before that starts happening around here.

The Clear Creek playpark in Golden is a good place to meet people, especially if you are relatively new to kayaking, as you say you are. Various sections of Clear Creek are pretty much THE weekday run for most Denver metro area kayakers.

Start hitting the playpark as much as you can as soon as it starts getting around 200 cfs and you will meet a ton of beginner/intermediates and maybe even some experts who would like to run some easy stuff with you.

Clear Creek doesn't really have any easy sections in the main part of the canyon, but you can chop off the last mile and do from tunnel #1 to town for some class II/III. It is only a 1 mile run but it ends in the play park so it is fun for beginners.

The best early season easy run close to Denver (in my opinion) is Waterton Canyon. There are usually a ton of intermediate level paddlers heading up there early and there are other easy options on both the north and south forks of the South Platte River upstream of the confluence that is Waterton Canyon.

I'd probably save the rest of Clear Creek up the canyon for when you are comfortable in class III+ and are starting to think about IV. When you are at that point, start running the "upper" run or the "lower" run at about 300 cfs to see what it is like. Both of those runs are probably III/IV-/IV at low flow but they become solid IV and even IV+ with some juice. The middle run is Blackrock and that will be for later, when IV is easy for you.

I like taking newbies down Clear Creek once in a while to try to bribe my way into heaven with some good karma so I'd be happy to show you the rest of Clear Creek, beyond tunnel #1 when you feel ready Get a river knife and fasten it to your PFD now. Get throw bags and whistles before you leave the playpark.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #3
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Colorado Whitewater would be a great group for you guys. Check them out at Colorado Whitewater Home Page. Depending on what level you are at they have classes for beginners - intermediates for very reasonable prices. In season they run a free trip every weekend and usually at least one cruise down a front range run during the week. It isn't expensive and you would be helping a good cause as well, they are doing a lot of work right now in keeping our access to the rivers in Co intact.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey, I am also fairly new to kayaking and plan on spending time at the play park this spring. I have been to Waterton and a few other CO spots, but I'm def a novice class II or III paddler. Would love to meet some more people to head out on the river with, but I am learning just like you. Let me know
gingergoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote