Old 07-20-2010   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Looking for easy Sept River I/II UT/CO

Taking our girls (2 & 4) for 4-5 day trip. Last year they did Horsethief over 3 days.

Want to avoid taking them on anything harder than II. Even I is fine, for my peace of mind with them! Looking for good camping and hiking.

Thinking: Labyrinth, Stillwater, or will Desolation be low enough by early September?

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #2
Provo, Utah
Desolation will likely be more than your girls would bargain for unless you plan to let them walk a couple of the rapids or ride in a raft. Joe Hutch rapid comes to mind.

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I pulled out the Deso and Canyonlands Belknap Guides and checked this out.

If you put in at Cisco (the Westwater takeout) you can float the Colorado all the way to Potash which is 60 miles or so. The last day or so down to Moab has several Class II rapids and maybe one Class III that are easily navigated.

On the Green, you can put in at Green River and float Labyrinth Canyon to Mineral Bottom. The float from GR to MB is about 68 miles and has one Class I riffle. The drive down to MB is Class IV for anyone with a fear of heights. Putting in at Swasey's would add about 12 miles and one rapid (Tusher) which I don't know anything about except that if I haven't heard of it its probably no more than Class II. You can also put in at Ruby Ranch to take 23 miles of low rolling country off the Labyrinth Canyon stretch.

Have a good trip!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Andy thanks for the information, very useful.

afaust - I was hoping by September the flow would reduce the grade, thanks for the advice. I'd looked at Joe Hutch on youtube but only saw earlier in the season stuff.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010   #5
Jenks, Oklahoma
add this to Andy's Mineral Bottoms drive

I was riding shotgun in a full size Ford Pickup on my first entry to Mineral Bottoms. We had stopped in Green River for a hamburger and pitcher of beer.

Little did I know.

The drive down for me at least was class 5 with class 6 consequences if the driver got off line some 12 inches during the drive which seemed to me to be a couple hours but probably more like ten minutes.

Coming back we were in my little Toyota Tacoma 4WD truck with me driving stone cold sober and it was maybe a class 3 drive but still class 6 consequences.

Got to the top and watched a commercial group in a big Ford Window van towing a trailer with canoes zip down at what seemed to me to be high speed. Bet those custies got the Xhit scared out just after the first turn over the horizon line!!!

It is a cool float down thru Cataract Canyon or you can get a boat pickup back up the river from the confluence.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #6
fun hog
D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I concur with Andy on the Colorado option. The float down through the moab daily is super mellow that time of year- You could do a shorter version than putting in at Cisco, rather camp/launch at dewey bridge and float down to moab or down to Potash. A night at Onion creek in Sept would be great for the kiddos
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
if you put in on the green at swasey's beach you have to float over or portage tusher dam. that is the low head dam below swasey's. i wouldn't recommend it at all, though i have heard stories of it being ran.
You deserve a good paddling!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #8
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Green from Crystal to Mineral is great for that age. Plan on bringing plenty of toys (tubes, inflatable castles). I would say it is more of a canoe trip at these flows rather than a raft float...however I have not float this at all levels so others may have better input. If you are worried about the shuttle opt for one of the shuttle services, like Tex's. They drove a good van shuttle like I wanted to drive my Honda Civic shuttle. I would also second the Colorado down to Potash. Good float for the young ones.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote