Old 04-27-2006   #1
Send a message via AIM to Zumbler Send a message via Yahoo to Zumbler
looking for best multi day river trip in CO/UT/WY

Need some advice on where, when, how, etc, about the best multi day river trip is in the CO/UT/WY area. Have been paddling a year and need to hit a mutli day trip.

Where to put in/out, how much and what to bring, permits?, where I could get good printed beta on it, etc. Nothing over class III - still working that.

Any adivce is appreciated! Thanks!

Zumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #2
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You might try Deso/Gray on the Green. You need a permit, but you could probably pick up a cancelation. Mostly flat with II's and a couple of III's. Nice trip. 7 or 8 days

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #3

If you're willing to travel to Idaho you have the Main Salmon, Middle Fork of the Salmon, and Hells Canyon. All which take permits. You would have to find someone who has one is the problem. There are a bunch more that, don't require a permit, like Owyhee. For more info check out Grant Admarals book "Idaho the Whitewater State".
mattcbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #4
Paddling Since: 1994
self support kayak or rafts?
not much info here for self support but....
for a novice raft supported multiday tripper, which i assume you are, i would sggest ruby horsetheif and westwater after it comes back to below 10k.
i know that there is a lot of flatwater but multidays are all about the beer float as much as they are about the rapids. there are several reasons this makes for a good first practice multi day. pm me if you want to talk. other runs listed are great choices but are a lot further away and alot more involved when it comes to planning. if you are a planning pro then trips listed above are good choices though most of the idaho trips listed have at least a spice of 4 and unless you get up there real soon you'll need a non exsistent permit. i would also suggest, unless you have a big crew you have to bring, to jump on other multi days. this will give a good overview of how different trips can be run then you can figure out your style. i.e. minmalist, backpack style (not recommended) or glutony at its finest, rack of lamb, kegs of micro and margs.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
Send a message via AIM to Zumbler Send a message via Yahoo to Zumbler
Self support kayak. We'll have approx 7 folks in the group. No raft support yet. Already spoke to the UT BLM for Desolation permits. No gurantee, but its pretty likely. If that fails we'll shoot for the green daily bit and then go labyrinth for the beer time. I'm sure the glutton in us would love the rack of lamb, but I havent found a support boat yet. Appreciate the feedback tremendously. What sort of layers for August? It'll be hot, not sure wet suits or dry tops needed?
Zumbler is offline   Reply With Quote