Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 03-13-2010   #1
Carrollton, Texas
Paddling Since: 1978
Looking for a Grand Canyon Trip Boatman and their Teenager

My wife and I are taking our 14-year-old daughter on her first Grand Canyon trip this summer. We have a private trip permit and are looking for a parent/boatman and their 13 to 16 year old teen to fill two spots we have open on our Grand Canyon Trip. We launch on June 21st and take off July 9th. If you
• Have your own raft
• Have a teenager
• Have grand or big water experience
• Love camping enough that you’ll do it for 18 days in 100+ temps with a smile on your face
• Love huge whitewater
then, we can talk.

It is important to us that our daughter has a companion her age for the trip. It is also important to have good group dynamics. Grand trips are long and can try the heartiest of souls. If your teen has never experienced river camping on a weeklong trip, then this 18-day trip is not a good starter trip. We will have to give priority to boaters with Grand Canyon experience. If exceptionally qualified, a parent/teen kayak combo might be considered.

Our daughter is a very cool kid. She is very personable and talkative. She is studious, but also likes to have fun. She loves to read, listen to music and draw. She also plays the cello like crazy, but the cello has to stay home. However, if either of you play guitar, we would love for you to bring your guitar on the trip. If you are interested in this trip, it would be helpful if Alana could meet up with your teen on Facebook so they can get to know each other.

My husband is a retired truck driver from Emery/UPS and has run rivers all over the US for the past 30 years. I’ve been boating for 15 years and we both paddled on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I am a High School Social Studies teacher and one of the other trip members is a math teacher. We have three other couples/rafters on our trip – two from Arkansas and one from Missouri; one of those couples is bringing their 20-year-old daughter. One couple offers both a fireman and an EMT/Wild/Med. There are also two single guys from Oregon, each with their own raft, on the trip.

Our group believes in safety first and we boat that way. However, we like our favorite river cocktail beverage at camp. We are a laid back and easygoing group, but we won’t have any hard-core drinking or drugs.

Our trip will be from Lee’s Ferry to Pearce Ferry. Everyone will share in planning, buying and preparing our own meals. The first week will be refrigerated food and the rest of the trip will be good non-refrig. meals (No freeze dried). REO will provide shuttle service and ground to air radio equipment. We expect the trip to run about $800 per person, depending greatly on the number of vehicles that we must have shuttled.

If this sounds like your kind of trip, then please send information about yourself and your teen – including you and your teen’s river experience. Let us know what you can bring to the trip/party; i.e. how would you be productive members of our trip. If you have a river picture of the two of you, please send it along. We look forward to hearing from you.

Randy, Libbi and Alana Stovall
Dallas, TX

randystovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
I can't make your trip, but wanted to tell you that you're definitely doing the right thing. Took my (then) 14 year old down in 2007 with his 15 year old cousin in a group that was mostly 30- or 40-somethings from Lees and then we had 20-somethings join at Phantom. Boys definitely had more fun with latter group, but if they hadn't had each other I don't know how much time I would have had for relaxing vice coaching or listening. Teens need company. Have a great trip!

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #3
-, Wyoming
Randy, Libbi and Alana:

Did the exact same thing you all are doing in July 2007. My sixteen year old daughter and I were also looking for another teenager to join our GC July trip. Through this same type of networking we were joined by Nicole and Alley, rounded out our group perfectly and made for a fantastic trip. In fact it was one of my friends in that group that brought this post to my attention. Would be very interested in talking with you all about this trip.
Sounds like you have a good group, we love river trips and camping. We took 16 days on our trip and dreaded the day we had to take out, we all wanted to go right back to Lee's and put in again. The Grand is such a special and magical place. If you send me an email I will forward some pics and we can share more information.

Best Regards,
Mark and Hunter
wwdory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
GP boatman.

I have rowed the Grand 3 times in my nearly 30 years of boating. I also have to teens to choose from, a 16 yr old son and a 19 yr old daughter. They both went down the Grand 3 years ago and can row the easier stuff. I have all my own rig plus quite a bit of group gear. I also have a 15 passenger van that has been converted to 4x4 for rafting.

Chuck Brainerd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sal19.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	2348  
denali95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
Paddling Since: 1971

Your trip sounds great. Having kids along in the canyon is a wonderful experience. We have a 14 year old son and a 17 year old daughter, both of whom have been down the Grand before. We did an eight person private trip last summer, and had a fantastic time. I've rowed on 5 private trips and two commercial trips. The first trips were in the late 70's/early 80's, and the last four were in the last four seasons. Our son is an avid outdoors kid, likes to hike, fish (caught thirty or forty fish on our last Grand trip), camp, sail, etc. He's very outgoing and easy to get along with, plus a great helper. I am a family doctor, like to cook, hike, etc. We have equipment but would rent a boat from PRO or REO. We live overseas (Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands), so it's a whole lot easier to get equipment in Flagstaff.
tstearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #6
I can offer a 18 aire cat, five total grand trips (gone last three years in a row), EMT, full kitchen, grover, all group gear needed, dodge ram diesel with trailer can haul four rafts and all coolers & food for a 18 day trip (located in northern colorado), satelite phone, ground to air radio, class V kayaker, 20 years on rivers, I'm 54, own my own business, but no kids. People skills excellant, cooking skills great espically if you like blackened prime rib on the river dutch owen style, I can bake bread, cherry pies every night. no drugs light alcohol is fine with me. I'm trying to get on the grand every year, would love to join your trip. these next two years are really important to me to get on the river since I'm shooting for a solo winter trip, planning on being deep in the canyon on my birthday 12/12/12.

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #7
Carrollton, Texas
Paddling Since: 1978
We have chosen another boater and his teen daughter who’s age is very close to our daughters. We wish that we could have included everyone on our trip. We will keep everyone's information in case anyone backs out of the trip.

randystovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #8
Yak Kaddy Yak
Glendale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1985
mrkayak please contact me at your earliest opportunity

Larry Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote