Old 06-18-2008   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
lookin 4 good 5-7 day trips in the West

High everyone. I am wondering if anyone can give me the 411 on any great overnight trips. It is going to be for my wife and I's honeymoon so it's gotta be good. We would like a 5-7, or 8 day trip. So if you have any info give me a holler. thanks.

life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #2
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Everything out here is permit oriented. May be out of luck for most southwest desert canyons this year. May be able to book a commercial trip on some of these, or look for private permit holders with space on thier trips... Here a few thoughts;

Dinasour Ntnl monument. N.W. Colorado/N.E. Utah - 3-4 days, mellow class 3 with lots of floating, dinasour quarry at the take out. Permits are expensive.

Desolation/Greys, Utah - 4-5 days, mellow class 3 every mile or two.

Westwater, a personal fav. is Big class 3 . 1 long day or a nice overnight trip. Add 2-3 days floating Ruby/Horsethief upstream (total float and remote) or 5ish days floating to moab along side the road (total float and beautiful.)

Cataract, Utah, 3 1/2 days float, 1 1/2 days big water (5 day trip)

Idaho may have some real good options for you in the fall. I think permit seasons up there end 1st of Octoberish on many runs.

Hells Canyon/Snake river 4-5 days big water float with a few big rapids.
Main Salmon Class 3 - 5 day trip - Get a jet boat to pick you up at the end and take you back up the rapids...

Congradulations to you both. Get a copy of the story of Glen and Bessie Hyde to read on together on your trip!!! Several versions out there, i read one in a book called "Canyon" by Micheal Ghigliari (sp?)

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3
kittredge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Speed dial is your best friend...

I always get permits every year due to persistence. You may not get the river you want, but like he said, everything is permitted. After I get denied, I just call the river offices of the rivers I want everyday looking for cancellations. I always get something. Have the Snake this year.

If I ever get married, the Main Salmon is where I'd like to go. It's my special river.

Oh, Lower Salmon isn't permitted. That's a 5-6 day trip.

Good luck, and congrats!

I choose the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?
nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
lower salmon is sweet

without having a permit in advance, the lower salmon to snake is awesome. sweet white sand beaches, warmer water, cool pool drop rapids, for the most part. did it a couple of years ago. definately worth the drive from colorado. it's a long one though. check for cancellations on the san juan too!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Idaho! What time of year? You can do the Main Salmon before June 20 or September 8 and later without going through the lottery. We did the Middle Fork last month and just decided to keep on going. Middle Fork of the Salmon would be awesome, but really hard to get a permit.
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #6
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Idaho options

You could road trip to Idaho and spend your days running daily stretches of the Payettes, Lochsa, Salmon (Stanley down to Corn Creek), and hole up in B&B's or cheap motels each night. Great time of year to be up there, both driving and running the rivers.

Or, hook up with an outfitter to run the Middle Fork of the Salmon, or the Main Salmon (both $$$), four, five, six+ day trips.

Or, hook up with an outfitter (OARS) and do a two day, one night trip on the Lochsa.

Or, go up to Jackson Hole, WY and spend your days running the daily stretches of Lower Canyon on the Snake River. Teton Nat'l Park is close by, as is Yellowstone NP.

FatmanZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #7
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1972
main salmon

I have a main salmon permit, launch july 11, 6 days, 5 nites, small private group, 2-14' s/b, 1-16' cat, planning on doing a jet-up on the 10th,

gerrysteele.tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote