Old 04-23-2013   #1
Waverly, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1999
Lodging recommendations for Stanley, ID and Darby, MT?

I'm looking for some recommendations for our group to stay while setting up for the Middle Fork and Selway this summer. It looks like we'll be meeting up and doing last minute preparations for our river trips in Stanley, ID and Darby, ID. Any recommendations on where a group of stinky river folks could find a relatively comfortable place to stay while in these towns?

Thanks in advance

agunnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991

Tim and Becky are good folks. I photographed their wedding ( in Stanley) years ago. first date with my future wife was breakfast at the hotel. It was the previous owners but the building was part of it and we are still married.
Tim did a late season MF a couple of years ago. Haven't seen the separate building out back but that sounds like you could pull right up and it might be perfect. I need to take a look at that next time I am up.

Down at Sunbeam they might be renting out some cabins this year. I know they have done some wedding receptions and parties. Need to check with Doug at White Otter. He runs a daytrip company out of there and does river food, rents gear and such. Much more primitive but tons of room for gear, trailers, places to hang stuff to dry etc. Not sure if they will do it but I'll try to find out.

Lots of folks use the big main hotel. Mtn Village. The only benefit I can see to that is that they have a private, reservable hot springs. Covered with barn doors to open up to the views. It is an awesome hot tub. Other than that, not so much.

Some other friends own these cabins.
Danners Log Cabins Stanley Idaho
Not sure how close or handy trailer parking would be but they are cozy, clean cabins.

Bridge Street is good food ( didn't know they did cabins). As is the Sawtooth Hotel and it's sister restaurant The Sawtooth Bakery ( don't be in a hurry there is often a line)

Lots of other places too. Here is the chamber website:
Stanley Idaho Lodging including Stanley Hotels and Motels

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #3
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
We stayed at this place in Darby between MFS and Selway trips last year. Travellers Rest - Home. Clean rooms and nice people that didn't seem to mind stinky river folks.

We considered staying here. Lost Trail Hot Springs Resort ~ The Best of the Last Best Place! Sula, Montana in Big Sky Country!
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The lodge at Redfish lake. Its a bit down the road from Stanley...but not too far and one of the sweetest places you'll kick your heels up at.

Redfish Lake Lodge. Lodging, Cabins, Great Food, and Marina
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #5
Santa Fe, New Mexico
We have stayed at these cabins in Stanley a couple of times:

They are nice and located on the bank of the river in Lower Stanley.
Hey diddle diddle; right down the middle... D. Sallaz
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote