Old 10-12-2009   #1
Broomfield, Colorado
Labyrinth Canyon - Newbie

So.. I have a week of vacation to burn and "new" rather old raft that is calling my name.

I am planning on trying to raft for three days in eastern Utah and then head to Canyonlands for some backpacking. This will be sometime between Nov. 8th to the 11th.

I was looking for suggestions, as is: Is the second week in Novemeber too cold to raft in Utah? I have been on multilpe guided rafting trips (numbers, brown's, Gorge, etc.), and one self guided/group class II trip on the CO. Where is a good run to start out. I was looking at Labyrnith Canyon.

Since I am planning on heading out solo, and I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything stupid!!

I am looking to chill and just spend time outdoors. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

mateo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Labyrinth is FLAT, so don't expect anthing more. It starts with slowly building canyons and is very pretty by the end. Doing anything that time of year is weather dependent - be ready to bail if a cold front is rolling through. I would want more than three days to get from Crystal Gyser to Mineral Bottom in a raft. Sand Island to Mexican Hat on the San Juan or Dewey Bridge to Moab on the Colorado are better 3-day lengths. If you're willing to pay for it, I would consider floating down to Spanish Bottom from Mineral Bottom, hiking out and having your gear shuttled back upstream to Moab. Not cheap for all the logistics, but what a cool trip.

When you have a week off next summer, hit up Deso - it's a great "intro to whitewater" river.
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #3
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by View Post
... I would consider floating down to Spanish Bottom from Mineral Bottom, hiking out and having your gear shuttled back upstream to Moab. Not cheap for all the logistics, but what a cool trip.
The shuttle service back up to Moab stops about the 2nd week in Oct. I soloed Labyrinth last year in an IK getting off on Halloween. I got out at Mineral because you can still get a car shuttle from Tex's. Not that expensive really for a week. I had beautiful weather the whole trip without a hint of breeze. It snowed the evening after I got off...
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #4
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Labyrinth is definitely newby friendly. Its all about the scenery. Doesn't get much flatter than that. I think it would be a blast doin it solo in the winter. SOO quite and mellow. It'd be nice with some snow blanketing the ground,i'd imagine.I did it in March a few years ago,very pleasant. Did it in 4days from Green River state park. Could easily do it in 3 from that (ruby?) ranch put-in. Definitely some side canyons to explore there though...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #5
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Tex's in Moab can drop you at CG and pick you up at MB for a fee. Rafting the san Juan at this time, 680 cfps today. here is the web site for the water levels in Utah
USGS Real-Time Data for Utah_ Streamflow
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #6
logan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
you need to put in at Ruby ranch if you are going to be doing this trip in three days and not rowing hard. There is not much to see from green river state park to Ruby ranch. Take a pair of ditch boots to keep the feet dry and warm.
jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #7
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks for everyone's input!! I ended up having to bag the trip for work. However, work took me to Vernal earlier this week and I was able to at least put my eyes on the Green. Based on the temps up there, I would have froze my ass off. Very doable, but would have had to keep everything nice and dry! I am going to have to catch something in the spring.

mateo99 is offline   Reply With Quote