Old 05-15-2012   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Labrynth Canyon

Doing a family float from Green River City to Mineral Bottom. I know I need a permit, but is it just having the filled out form or do I need to have approval before I launch. Any information on the permit process would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on camping, day hikes or any other cool activities would be great. Thanks.

dryflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #2
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Did it once and got the permit from the John w Powell museum,I believe. A must stop for any river scum. Not like there's much else to do in Green River. I don't think anyone checked us in at the state park in town. I just said I had everything and pointed to the load of shit. Ranger at the entrance gate just said 'ok.'

Make sure of the hours if you're getting the permit at the museum

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #3
Did it last August. Think I just printed the permit here and brought a couple of copies with me.

Hiking to the the saddle in the bowknot bend is cool. But there is lots and lots of tamarisk down there making it really hard to actually get beyond the river banks. Also not sure what the flows are like now as compared to last August but with last years high water, nice beachy campsites were few and far between and often already taken. Actually ended up sharing one large beach with two other small groups for one night.

And be prepared for bugs. Bring bug spray and citronella candles. A mosquito net mask was also key one night. So cheap and so small I will always bring one in the future just in case.

Paying one of the shuttle services in town to run your shuttle was also worth it.
Izza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #4
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
There's a "river register" on one of the walls down there,where people carve in their names with rock into the stone. Kinda cool,some real old/funny ones. Trin alclove canyon was cool. Bow knot bend too. We camped below it one night and saw a monster green meteor. Not a ton of camps,so make do. I did it in march 07 and it was total solitude,and no wind or bugs. Great time. If you're coming from GRSP then shoot for camping near Dellenbach (sp?) Butte,probably. Nice hiking around it....cause there's not too much out there,above Labyrinth. A little barren but scenic
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #5
did they fix the mineral canyon road? I thought that had blown out a couple of years ago and they wore not going to fix it.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #6
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Road is fixed.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #7
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
If you are launching at Green River I'd say you have to make a stop at the Crystal Geyser and wait for it to go off. It's one of the coolest things there.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #8
Summit County, Colorado
I also remember a Dennis Julien inscription towards the end of the trip, close to Mineral Bottom I think.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks, much appreciated. We are planning for August, so good advice on bugs.
dryflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #10
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
anyone have recommendations for a shuttle co for ruby ranch to mineral bottom?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote