Old 02-05-2013   #31
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
When we did the Minam to Troy stretch last mid-June we saw one piece of garbage. One.
We two nighted one campsite and there was nothing there in a spacious great campsite. No fire pit evidence. Campsites were fire wood picked over but that was it.
Did see Bald, Golden and Osprey.
Even with a steady rafting/smaller craft traffic it was close to Pristine.
There is very little theft in the area.
We encountered a handfull of mosquitos.

This bears a little discussion of my observations over a 2 decade span running this pre- and post- pack-it-out requirements. Until about the late 1990s or so, using a groover and fire pan was not mandatory. In the mid to late 1900s the Grande Ronde camps were getting to look like a shit storm with turds and TP under every rock, log, and large piece of bark within a couple yards into the bushes in every direction in every nice sized camp. Fire pits were large old accumuclations of ash and debris. Within a couple years of implementation of mandatory groovers and fire pans, things started to improve, a decade latter the shit storm had degraded to practically unoticiable. The occasional fire pit, micro trash and turd are encountered, but the change from pre-mandatory pack out is amazingly better.

That being said, last year we camped at a particularly large camp and encountered a fairly large amount of garbabge and ass debris, a very unususal occurance in todays grande ronde modus operendi. I wish I could have come upon the group as they were leaving to give them a piece of my mind. We cleaned it up though.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #32
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Well done.

On most river days its possible to do some clean up.

The cleaner we keep things the more that mind set 'infects' those with other ethics.

I have this OCD thing about nails.
I pack a long handled claw hammer that works for nail pulling from trees. Its good for tent stakes and dutch oven lids too.
I worked cleaning campgrounds for a few years. Its not my fault.
I'm new to this board but would make a small wager against any poker players around that 95%+ of the posters here are no trace campers.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #33
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Awesome. I have had my boys doing "scavenger hunts" for micro trash for years. They expect it now.

I agree - picking up after oneself can be "infectious" to others.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote