Old 06-03-2015   #1
Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
Kayaking the Grand - just a thought

Hey guys. Kayaking the grand has always been a dream of mine. I'm a solid class IV with some Vs in there boater. Much more of a big water guy. Im throwing the idea out there to some of my paddling buds, and we are all interested in looking into setting something up...or atleast starting our research. Any advice at all on where to start would be helpful. I live in the east, so it would be a large undertaking I'm sure.

OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What kind of a trip are you going to do? Self Support kayak or raft support? Private or Commercial? Permit is probably the hardest things to get. Go here to understand what you have to pay or win to get the chance to go down:

River Trips / Permits - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Can always look for cancellations and winter trips seem to be easier to pick up than others. Winter aspect changes things a bit as far as gear and logistics. If you can frame what you hope to get out of it you might get more responses. But whatever you do, go, that place is unreal to see from a boat.

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #3
Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
I would say either

Honestly, since this is just the inception of the idea, I would be ok with either. We have the equipment for a self support, but a raft support would be cool. I did the salmon river with raft support and had the time of my life. I'll check out that site! I just have nowhere to start so I'm looking for info.
OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Take it from "a thought" to "a plan"

Good luck!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015   #5
The whitewater, while awesome, is not that hard. If you are a IV/V kayaker you have the skills to run it. There are a lot of online resources, I was going to post some, but a google search of self support grand canyon will give you a lot of great things to read.

At the end of the day it is really just a matter of winning a permit. Winning in the main lottery is hard. Picking up cancellations, especially cancellations close to the put in date is a little easier. Also, as someone said, if you are willing to go in winter you will have a lot less competition for dates. Good luck - it's one of the best trips you can go on.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote