Mountain Buzz banner

Kauai-Rivers- or anything else Bad Ash

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  watahwatah 
#1 ·
Aloha,

I'm lucky enough to be headed out to the island of Kauai for a week.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on an floatable rivers out there that might be something I wouldn't want to miss. It looks as if they have 4 major rivers, that don't appear to have any whitewater, at least from the guide books. Doesn't mean they probably aren't awesome, but was wondering if anyone out here has done any of them, and/or liked any better than others.

Any advice on rivers/oceans/hikes or pertienent info of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

Much Grass

#2 ·
Can I go with you?

My wife and I have been there twice. She doesn't kayak so my options were a bit limited. We did get on the Wailua. Its a flat water paddle. We rented a 2-man sit-on-top from Kayak Kauai. These guys were cool and laid back.

I recommend the Secret Falls paddle. Once you get to the beginning of the hike its a blast. The trail is something out of the Three-Rings movies and we were like kids stomping in the mud. The stream next to the walk is interesting, I saw a couple of holes where I would have liked to have had my boat. http://www.kayakkauai.com/secret.html

I'm not sure if they have any real white water.

We also found the irrigation ditches up in the hills. Ran into a couple of locals who gave us boogie boards to float through the tunnels into some cool gottos. Be careful exploring these, some of them end in waterfalls or drops and you don't know it until you are right up on them. Just stand up. This was the coolest part of the trip. We're going back in May and will be exploring some more.

Also look for the Powerline hike. It is over near Hanalei. Its a long one, but you go through two tunnels and come out in the Hanalei Valley up high. Rivers look interesting (Hair when its raining) here, but I wouldn't want to hike a boat up there.

PM me if you want other info. I love Kauai :lol:

#3 ·
kauai

i would recommend forgetting the flat paddle, and rent sea kayaks for a tour to the napali coast. my old lady and i hiked in and spent a few days there. took us 1.5-2 days to get there, while people kayaked in about 2-4 hrs....

make sure to visit the next beach down from the main camp spot. if you swim though, bring flippers cause the current makes a tough swim back.

supposed to get permits, but we didn't have any, and i think the ticket costs about as much as the permit. i have never seen so many free living hippies as i did there. i don't think any of them had permits.

beautiful - S

#4 ·
There is a trip report and some beta on AW about kayaking a river in Waimea canyon on Kauai: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4634 Sounds pretty intense.

If I were going I would sea kayak to Kalalau Valley along the NaPali coast and spend at least 1 night camping in Kalalau valley or one of the valleys to the south of it. Ive backpacked the kalalau trail several times, probably, its the most beautiful stretch of shoreline I have ever seen, very highly recommended.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for all the information. I am getting giddy just thinking about it.
I am printing out all this information and bringing it with. Sounds like the Nepali Coast will be the shiznit. I'll be sure to have some pineapple drinks for all of you.

Again, much obliged, and if you have anything else to add, please do so. I have a feeling this will be a little different than the red-rock canyons I'm used to....F yeah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.