Old 11-16-2012   #1
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
John Day river

Anyone have GPS waypoint file for the Upper and Lower John day river.

RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #2
Seattle, Washington
I'm not aware of one. Have you check the idahowhitewater yahoo group? They have many waypoint files in the files section.

As someone who has run the JD many many times .... there isn't much to map. I've always just used the old Garren drift logs. I guess camp locations could be helpful but ... it's not the Selway where you might drift into something substantial. Clarno can get legit at high water but aside from that it's a class II 130 mile float .... with camps all over.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #3
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
... it's not the Selway where you might drift into something substantial. .
. . . unless you float past the Cottonwood Bridge at the end of the trip. I've heard that there is some kind of waterrfall between there and the mouth. I think it's called Tumwater Falls.

There's a book called Wildwater Touring by Scott & Margaret Arighi. It's long out of print, but you can still run across copies cheap on It has useful details that John Garren doesn't give you in Oregon River Tours.

An even better book is Arthur Campbell's John Day River Drift and Historical Guide. Good luck finding a copy of it at a reasonable price. I won't sell you mine.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #4
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
High water

In 2011 my Dad and friends did Clarno to Cottonwood did it. The river was so high they had to launch in a pasture, and open a gate to paddle out in to the main current. (The asked for access from the land owner) It was something like 14,000, not much rapids, but you don't have to paddle much. We are talking about doing in this May again.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #5
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Tumwater Falls is after the take-out at high water, be prepared to pull hard right IMMEDIATELy after the bridge at Cottonwood. Clarno has an interesting hole at high water, scout and run left. Russo Rapid at RM 150 is also of note at high water. If running at flood stage, you might have the river to yourself...silty conditions not the best for fishing. Lots of camps, easily seen, Basalt Camp is a favorite. "Oregon River Tours", by John Garren and "Soggy Sneakers" by Pete Giordano , good descriptions and maps, both available through Abe Books
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I've got 'em

I created river miles, rapid(s), launch/takeout points and some of my favorite camps for everything from Service Creek down to Cottonwood for my Garmin. The river miles are the most useful so you can figure out where you are; it's beautiful, but it does all start to look the same after awhile. PM and I'll see if I can figure out how to share them with you.
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #7
peoria, Arizona
John Day River waypoint files

Easily downloaded from my web site : PaddleOn

Select the waypoint menu item, select desired river, select desired river section. Available in several formats.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote