Old 01-14-2011   #1
Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1978
Jarbidge-Bruneau River Info

Can anyone direct me to a good source of river information on the Jarbidge-Bruneau rivers such as river maps that show rapids, camps,shuttles, min flows, best months to go and so on. Planning a trip for this coming spring...thanks.

Wetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Here is the BLM map.

I have not done it myself, but there is some good beta if you search old posts.

fastfish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #3
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
On my first trip, we found this to be a great resource and very accurate
California Creeks - Jarbidge and Bruneau
This is a great trip (understatement!) and I'm planning a trip for this year too.
If you have good class 4 skills nothing will sneak up on you, just don't miss that eddy above Jarbidge Falls.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #4
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Some beta in THIS book, if you can find a copy.

A bit old, wouldn't rely on it alone.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Here's a TR, I believe Jed has done it a few times and is very helpful if you ask for info.

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #6
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
There is some lat/long and map info on it here (Jarbidge only):

River Brain - Jarbidge River - Murphy to Bruneau
rbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #7
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Planning a Jarbidge-Bruneau is not that easy, it's more of seeing the window and going. Some years the window is open longer than others. Typically April, May, and early June are best. June is a longshot though unless it's been a very wet year. First half of May should be ball park. I find that 12k to 16k are the most forgiving flows. That is it covers most rocks and it hasn't become pushy. When it hits 24k Five mile can be a handful. The Jarbidge has a new landfall I haven't seen yet but I hear you can add that to some portages. I wouldn't recommend inflatables on the Jarbidge, but it's been done. The portages aren't pleasant with canoe's and kayaks. The Bruneau is a great section but has it's issues getting to it. Class 5 shuttle and pretty much impassable if it's raining. Plan on going in at Bruneau or Rogerson ID, most of the passes hold snow till July. There is room to camp at the put-ins and there is limited service in Jarbidge. A couple of bars they may have opened for the season. Kayak idaho may have some info on the new landslide and trip reports. Good luck.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #8
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm sure you meant to put a decimal point on those flows. I agree when the flow says go...go. But since you live in Idaho that should help with that. Some friends of mine went last year and Sevy Falls was now a pool, thanks to the landslide and new rapid downstream. There are pictures of this drop on Ca. Creeks write-up. They portaged the new rapid. I disagree on the inflatables assessment, I've seen it done and it worked out great, besides they can carry more gear. I'm planning on May myself.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #9
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I must be getting old, yes on the decimal points, thanks for catching that. On the inflatables, it's a recommendation. In the 20 or so times I've been down the Jarbidge I've "seen" it done too. R2'ers seem to have the easier time of it. Glad I was in a hard boat. The Bruneau is much more suited to Rafts and Cats just harder to get to. Maybe we'll see you on the Bruneau. Have fun.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #10
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Be ready for the local vegetation. We ran the Jarbidge at 3200 cfs and the poison Oak is thick. One camp we couldn't leave because we were surrounded and two places we were forced to stop along the banks in it. It's not just small outcroppings, it is groves!
The portage around Jarbidge falls takes a while, we saw numerous aircraft including a B-1 bomber and some A-10 warthogs, we could hear the A-10s shooting.

Learch is online now   Reply With Quote