Old 02-01-2014   #11
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
I understand you want to do film work for an outfitter, but I'm not clear if you already own any of your own video equipment? Slovenia has some of the most beautiful rivers on the entire planet, so it would be a huge mistake to go there unprepared camera-wise. Even if you only take stills, please post some here when you can. The limestone karst formations that Italian Alp & Slovenian rivers flow through are second to none for scenery.

theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #12
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
Also..... If Luka Esenko happens to be in Slovenia when you go, he does photo camps. He's a renowned photographer, though I don't know what he charges. In researching Slovenian property a while back, his name seemed to pop up often. There's a link here-
Slovenia | Luka Esenko's blog

theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you want to be a video boater it will be tough with only III-IV skills. You really need to be a class V boater to qualify as a safety/video boater. There are options to travel around the western hemisphere and make a meager living, but to do so you will have to become an ACA certified instructor with at least CPR, preferably Wilderness First Responder, as well as swift water rescue and a documented log of all your runs. It is a fantastic goal to have, good luck.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #14
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by ULKC_Kayaker View Post
Hi guys,

First time posting here but I've been lurking in the background for a few years now! I'm looking for some help.

Basically I'm finished University classes on May 21st and will be heading to Slovenia and Italy for 3 weeks of kayaking. After that I want to go to Colorado for the Summer to work and paddle but I don't know where to start planning. I'll be 20 years of age at the time of arrival with 3 years of Grade 3-4 experience under my belt. The dream job is to be a video boater as I adore filming and editing kayaking videos. A job as a raft guide would be great but everywhere I've inquired requires the attendance at a training camp in the middle of May which I cannot attend because of university exams. Also, having never worked as a raft guide before, it may not be ideal.

I'm looking for help with any possible job suggestions or similar that I could partake in. Also any information about rivers, etc would be appreciated. I've read that the water levels might be low this year. Is this true? I'm hoping to arrive around June 15th and leave to return to university around August 24th.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread but any help would be greatly appreciated to save this student from being stuck in little old Ireland for another Summer.
Start writing outfitters now. Explain your situation. Explain what you're looking for and what you've got. Anyone who does anything river related, write to them.

Someone may just hire you cause, you know, you're Irish. Or, they may know someone who knows someone who needs an Irish kayaking video guy. Or a driver. Or something.

I mean, I remember one letter we got on year. It started off;

"We are two girls looking for work.........."
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014   #15
Limerick, Ireland
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to start emailing some companies this evening and sending around my resumé.

For those asking, I have some of my own photo and video equipment here but I'm hoping to possibly buy a new DSLR before I go in order to document the trip. I'll have my own GoPro HERO 2 as well.

I think I might let the raft guiding dream die because it seems like there may just be too many hurdles to overcome with training costs, timing, certifications etc. Getting a job with alright pay and some time off for paddling would be ideal so I'll email around and see where that gets me.

That's a video I made documenting my university's trip to the Alps last summer. Hoping to make another one this year to a more professional standard.
ULKC_Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #16
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you happen to speak German or French, you will get hired by any Moab outfitter, any time any day.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #17
Limerick, Ireland
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
If you happen to speak German or French, you will get hired by any Moab outfitter, any time any day.
I had a very high standard of German around 2 years ago but I haven't spoken the language since high school so I'd need to brush up before I go.
Old 02-03-2014   #18
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Do you haft to work?

As it has already been said, it will be difficult for you to find a job in the industry in June. But you can try. If your interested in teaching kayaking skills or ducky classes google search the following guide post
1. Confluence Kayaks (Denver)
2. RMOC - Arkansas River near Salida

If you need to work but can not find work in the raft/kayak industry you could shop for jobs ( look on google maps for city names. Any restaurant or Irish pub would give a job to someone from the mother land. And there are several Irish pubs in Denver.

Post on the this page when you fly in. I am sure there are some like mined folks willing to let crash on a couch and take you down some classic runs. June is the best month to kayak in Colorado so you will have lots of options.

I would suggest that if you can afford to not work for the month of June or the summer months then just kayak full time. This would absolutely be possible on a budget of $2000-3000. Assuming, you surf couches, camp and live modestly. Most of that will go to fuel, and gear. Food and camping are cheep within the state. If you do work you might make $4000 in three moths and you will kayak a lot less. Unless you are kayaking for work but that is going to be a much different experience and leisurely kayaking around for a summer.

The majority of kayak runs are a direct result of snow melt and will melt out by july 1 st. That said, there are a few classes that run through the summer and provide endless fun.

There will be no shortage of partners on the weekends and after work on the week days in the Golden, Fort Collins and many of the other paddling City's and towns within the state. Again this site is a great place to net work and find partners.

The best guide book for the state is, "White Water of the Southwestern Rockies"
And if you looking to paddle around the country the best book to have is, "The River Gypsies' Guide to North America: A Whitewater Travel Guide to 294 of the Continent's Best Rivers"

Both can be found on Amazon.

I would consider leaving you boat at home and buying a used boat in the states. You can pick up a good creek or play boat used for $400-$700 USD and selling it back in Europe for double that. And I doubt you will be able to fly a boat round trip for less than $400 in oversized bag charges -- that is assuming they let you fly a boat in the first place. If you do try and fly with a boat do not tell the agent it is a kayak. Say it is a sit on top surf board. Other wise they might not allow you to check the item.

I absolutely plan on paddling most days during June and road tripping to other states to paddle during the summer.

PM me when you get more of you trip figured out and we can go paddle and maybe connect for a longer road trip.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #19
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Are you comfortable paddling the Royal Gorge above closure? If yes than I'd call Lost Paddle or Royal Gorge Rafting for a photo kayaking job. RGR will send a photo and safety kayaker with each trip. I've worked for River Runners since 97' has a guide and safety kayaker. I'm far to old and crabby to work for RGR. Lucky for you, your 20 y/o and know everything. You'll fit right in scooter! In all seriousness probably your best option, unless you get real comfie in class V.

Good luck
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #20
Limerick, Ireland

Hey guys,

Its been a long time since I've posted here but just giving ye an update.

I've been applying to every single job I can find that involves water/the outdoors in Colorado for the last 2 months but as of yet, nothing has come of it.
Talking with Earl in Colorado Kayak Supply has been the most beneficial but after a few weeks of talks with him, the job fell through in the end unfortunately.

Nearly every job I've applied to hasn't even replied to my emails which isn't too promising. I've applied for jobs in other states too but nothing has come of them either. So it's not looking very promising! At this stage I'd nearly just take any sort of half decent job that would give me sufficient time to go paddling in the evenings/weekends. Staying in Buena Vista would be the dream but I'd nearly take anything just to not spend another dry Summer in Ireland.