Old 02-04-2010   #1
Redlands, California
Input: Davis Dam to Parker Dam (Colorado River)

Hey all,

I'm new to kayaking and want to arrange this trip. Anyone done this before? I found this great guide:

Any info or suggestions would be great.

Thank you,

aquadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I've been thinking about doing this trip over the past couple years at Christmas. My interest is primarily in the Devil's Elbow region and floating the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge. What has kept me from pursuing it is the driving distance from Colorado (you are probably closer), the vicinity of civilization (floating through the concreted Colorado River through Bullhead City/Laughlin is unappealing to me) and the inevitability of having to push through the sediment into Lake Havasu at the end.

If I were to do this section, I would probably put in below Needles and take out at Castle Rock Bay.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Paddling Arizona by Tyler Williams gives beta on scenic lakes and flatwater as well as whitewater,pretty sure that's in there.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #4
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I once read a write up about the last section of this trip into Havesou in one of the paddling magazines. It looked like a great canoe trip. I am fairly sure the section through Chemehuevi Valley Indian Reservation requires a permit and over nights need to be at the camp grounds. I assume the above refrenced book will cover this. From the photos that were in the write up, it looked worth the trip.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #5
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
As an edit, after doing a bit of research there is no permit required. There is no camping allowed in the Topock Gorge itself though so you would need to time your float appropriately.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, colorado river