Old 05-13-2013   #1
frederick, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1998
Idaho/Montana trip

I will be traveling from Maryland to Idaho and Montana for about 3 weeks (approx 26 May-12 June) of kayaking, mountain biking, etc. I will be in Boise for about the first half of my trip then heading north through Idaho and on to Missoula and glacier national park. I would like to paddle class 3-4 runs like the SF Payette, N/S Fork Boise, Lochsa, Clark Fork, etc. I spend summers kayaking the Upper Yough here in Maryland, have done the Gauley many times, the Grand Canyon and many other class 3-4 runs around the country. If you would be willing to let me tag along on any trips, I would greatly appreciate it. The only time during my trip i can't paddle is june 1-2. Please get in touch via email address below.
Jeff Smith
jefsmith78 at gmail dot com

PS. Any suggestions on mtn bike trails would also be greatly appreciated.

jefsmith78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Montana does have some III-IV runs but nothing nearly as classic as the Idaho big water runs. If you are doing other sight seeing type stuff and working in some boating as you go great, there will be things to paddle. I'm down in Bozeman and we have a couple runs. Let me know closer to when/if you will be here and we'll paddle something. I wouldn't plan on more than 1-2 days in Bozeman area though just for boating. There's some good hiking/mountain biking/climbing etc around too, but for III-IV paddling it's somewhat limited.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Might hit this up if you have time... should be lots of people on the water snf lots of fun... and there is some good mtn biking around salmon....

Attachment 6232
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There is a big event on the Lochsa the first weekend in June, Lose it on the Lochsa. Info on facebook, maybe they have a webpage also. There will be lots of people around, camping may be tight but just go for it.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Dang, you're going to miss the big Lose It on the Lochsa weekend June 1-2.
Memorial Madness is .... Memorial weekend.
I'll be down there the 2nd weekend of June, too (6/7-9).

Like Glenn said, decent water near Bozeman (and up here near Glacier NP/Kalispell), but better in Idaho. A day on the Alberton Gorge/Clark Fork would be worth it, though.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #6
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Idaho / Montana boating

There will almost always be boaters at the S. Payette so you shouldn't have any problems findings people to boat with there. The same holds true for the Lochsa.

If you're running the UY, also look at the Little Salmon which is on the way between the Payette and Lochsa. At low water, it's not a big deal but becomes interesting at high water (>3500 cfs). Also look at the Middle Fork Payette.

The Vinegar Creek to Riggins run on the Salmon is also fun at high water and has nice waves at the right level.

There are a few good 3-4 runs in NW Wyoming a little south of Yellowstone and Grand Teton that you might like.
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #7
frederick, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1998
thanks for all the great info! sounds like maybe i should spend more time in idaho than i originally planned for. the salmon riverfest sounds like a good time.

glenn- i will definitely be coming through bozeman at the end of the trip. if i have time to paddle i will get in touch.

jefsmith78 is offline   Reply With Quote