Old 08-28-2016   #1
Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2014
How to find people to run with/how to run alone

Recently I've been having issues finding people to run rivers with as most of my friends are more interested in getting high when they aren't at school or work than spending their free time kayaking. So I'm just wondering how everyone has solved this problem if/when they ran into it. Is there a good way to find people to kayak with? Is there a safe way to kayak alone? I'm mostly a whitewater kayaker, doing class 2,3,4.

Lazerbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you're in Greenville, there's probably a kayak or outdoors shop in town. They may have a message board where you can put up a post looking for partners. Are there any clubs around? that's another good way. You should probably start off looking to boat with folks on easier water just to improve your margin of safety going with folks you don't know. Another idea is to go to a park and play spot where you can meet folks that may be willing to have you along with them after they see you on the water and can judge your skills.

As for boating alone, this is generally one of those "don't ever do it" things, but lots of us make an exception if these three conditions ALL apply: 1) we know the run really well, 2) the river is well within our skill level, and 3) we expect to see plenty of other people on the river who can help out in case of an emergency.

Stay safe,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #3
Lexington, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 1997
There are a ton of boaters around greenville and especially asheville. Try posting on some of the facebook groups and/or start hanging out at the chatooga.
justinmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #4
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Hang out on the river be helpful strike up conversation, offer to run shuttle... It's kinda hard at first, forums are helpful but meeting people on the river seems way more valuable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If you have anything less than total confidence when paddling alone, don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #6
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would also add that group dynamics are one of the most important safety considerations doing dangerous things. I'd rather paddle alone, than with people who will put me in shitty situations.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #7
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Second the Facebook. And be very upfront about skill levels,runs and river level you've run it at. Just discovered a group further upriver from me. As few surprises as possible is my policy. Running alone is sketchy, but I do it if I have no choice, mainly the same run. Try to get a buddy to shuttle and shore support if possible. I bought a few brews and dinners afterward, but I ate least had shore presence. If you're flying solo, let someone know where, when you get on and when you're off river.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #8
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Is still active?
That used to be the go-to spot to find paddling partners in the Southeast
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddle. Don't die. Don't swim. Bike your shuttle. Repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016   #10
SeaTown, NW
I'd just show up to the river introduce yourself and then paddle

nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote