Mountain Buzz banner

How Low Can You Go Smith?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Wavewrangler 
#1 ·
I'm still hoping to take advantage of my July 22nd Smith River permit while I'm in Montana. I will either take an NRS Mini-Me or a tandem I.K. and can pack light in whichever one I take. According to some past threads on this subject, the 153 flows are still permissible for this trip with the Mini-Me, which I prefer for this five day event. My biggest wonder is whether the Smith will continue to drop in flows, and to what level? What is the minimum flow that any Buzzard has ever taken this trip in either an IK or Mini-Me? :confused: Thanks for any support I can get in planning this solo adventure.

#4 ·
Don't Play With the Bears

Oh, Mike, I wasn't thinking about playing with or bothering the bears. But the state parks division is apparently worried about us playing together. They have closed this section of the river, as of yesterday. No known reopen date, until they "get the situation under control". I guess there have been quite a few human and bear encounters at camps, with the bears fearlessly winning the food. Hopefully the park rangers will get it under control, or as Yogi said, "Just sit back and let Mother Nature carry us toward her own", and let me get on the river.

#5 ·
I just got off the Smith on July 4th. On the 3rd a Ranger met us on the river to tell us they were closing our planned camp and several others as a bear had been active in the camps. He went into all 5 boats in one camp at least 3 times, got close enough to a group of campers to terrify them and for them to use bear spray, and then another group fired a warning round at him when he got too close to them. We had to camp with two other groups at Lower Givens and the bear came into our camp that night. He punctured one cooler and tore off a hinge and ate everything he found, including puncturing a can of whipped cream. He got into another cooler another group at our camp left on shore, and when I got home I found claw marks in my yeti cooler. The bear also got into coolers at Rattlesnake camps across the river. I was not surprised to hear they had closed the river as they were gong to have to close a lot of camps. Plus the water is pretty damn low. All that said we had an awesome trip.

#7 ·
Yellowstone is a great option. Ms bubbles was rocking yesterday. Yankee Jim is loosing a bit of its thunder but still fun. Dont forget the springdale wave. Putting in at Gardner would add a bit more WW action and would not be too hard to get a mini me down to the river. Gardner to big timber is a 100 mile trip at least. You could re supply in emigrant and livingston. I think you could sneak down the smith at 120. I made it down in an 18' at 163 at baker and it was dropping the whole trip.

#9 ·
Island camping at pine creek or camp on river at numerous state run campsites, go to the bar in emigrant, catch a show at pine creek, and head on down to Big T with abundant camping as well. Lots of fisherman above Livingston. Great float. I've been using hooters shuttle service with good results.

#10 ·
Stay Up Smith

So, the Smith is back open, with five bears having been killed to reopen it. Don't want to get into the ethics or decision making around that choice, but I do want to celebrate that fact that I will be able to fill my Smith permit on the 22nd :p! Now, all that needs to happen to for the flows to stay up, if anyone can consider 148cfs up! Stay up Smith!

#11 ·
We launched 4th of July at 150. A little bit of hang ups but it wasn't like we were dragging for miles like everyone makes it seem. We were in a sixteen footer as well. I'd say go there's plenty of water!
We camped last night at merganser and had no bears just a raccoon. But above us at stagmiller they had quite the issues. Bear ate one of the guides seats. They had trouble below us at rattlesnake that night too. Just bring a guitar and plenty of firewood!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.