Old 06-27-2013   #1
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
how long for Royal Gorge at this level?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to paddle the Royal Gorge. I'll be in Colorado Springs over the weekend & was considering trying to get on there (if its open yet?) on Sunday afternoon on my way back to SW Colorado. I'd be leaving C Springs between 1-2:30. Would that give me enough time, or is that too late of a start?

Or another idea, how is the playpark in Salida at the current flows?

ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #2
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The Gorge opened last Friday so you are good to go there. Currently the Gorge is reading 730 cfs, at that level it takes about 3 1/2 hours if your not stopping a lot. Also, the Pink House take out is now public so that saves you about a mile of flat water to the train Depo.

Looks like you have plenty of time for a lap but you might be driving back to home in the dark, but at least you will have gone boating.

RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #3
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I know the taylor is not as challenging as the royal gorge but if all fails your welcome to join our group this sunday. It might be more of a drive than you want, but again 4 of us from Montrose will be there all day. Flows are holding tight with more rain coming sat. and sun. Call 970-497-6512 for meeting options. Chow!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #4
pnw, Washington
Check before you go as they are talking about closing it again to remove some more debris from the cable car crash.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #5
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
They are saying the Gorge will be good for weekend boating, launching from or passing by Parkdale from 9-4, but that's what they are saying:

AHRA SUA Contractors and Private Boaters,

After meeting with staff from Alpine Cable & Construction, Inc., Royal Gorge Bridge & Park, Royal Gorge Route Railroad and the insurance firm on Wednesday (06.26.13) regarding removal of the remaining cables and structures on the North Rim of the Royal Gorge it was determined that the following plan would be implemented to insure public safety and minimize the impact to AHRA SUA Contractors and private boaters;
  1. The removal work will begin at 5:30 PM on Thursday (06.26.13)
  2. The removal work is tentatively planned to be completed by Monday (07.01.13)
  3. The cable removal contractors will work from sun-up to 9AM
  4. The cable removal contractors will work from 5:30PM until dark
  5. The launch window at Parkdale for all boating related activity during this time period will be from 9AM to 4PM
  6. Boat traffic should not stop or attempt to get out near the bridge
The cable removal contractor will be able to contact AHRA directly via an 800 radio should there be any changes to the above noted plan or should any safety issues develop during the removal operation. This information will be relayed to all AHRA SUA Contractors and Private Boaters as soon as possible.

Alpine Cable & Construction, Inc., has discussed returning sometime during the week of July 8th to remove the large concrete slabs on the North Rim. The removal of these slabs will require a closure in the Royal Gorge. AHRA will keep everyone informed as to the date/time once more details regarding this pending operation are determined.

If you have any questions regarding this information please contact AHRA.

Thank you,

Rob White
Park Manager
Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA)
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
307 W. Sackett Ave.
Salida, CO 81201

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #6
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Looks like we have a small group of duckies and a cat going into the Gorge Saturday. Anybody want to join us? We're meeting at Centennial Park in Canon City at about 9-9:15.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote