Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 09-15-2009   #1
Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hiking Cross Mountain at Larry's - Deerlodge Park @ no water

Yampa River at Deerlodge Park, Colorado. The only undamned river in CO that I know of.... correct me pls. Highwater at ridiculous 10+Ks, with low water dipping at 20-100cfs.

Larry, the kind old river sage, who lives on the right side just as you drive on to put in for split mountain, or for those of you who may also know him as Horsey, (a goddamned river legend in his own right has been boating more than I am counting my 40 years of suck old) came by today and we talked about hiking the river that runs through his backyard, at a level that happens the next month, at about 30 to 150 cfs.

Well, mind you it's a dream of mine and have pointed out to most of you fellow river clowns and now the time is coming up. Have anticipated and missed it for the last two years..... um, well, uh feefhh. No Excuse. So this is more for me to help you help me remember to help me to go. Oh, and so that you can go too, of course. Hey, give it up for honesty..

Let's go visit Horsey and take some fishing poles and go for a 4 1/2 mile hike. He's happy to have people check it out.

Having thrown up before going down that at 12K really want to look at and touch the rocks that make all the madness in there happen and film some of it.

Anyone want to go and check it out too? Know Larry? Want to get to know the canyon and get to know one of the quietest and most skilled CO river legends? Capn Loco, myself, some PBRs, Turkey legs, hiking boots, Safety gear and said fishing licenses and gear are heading on up there. Will make it happen this year.

Anyone up for it in last wknd in Sept or sometime October? Whatsup river ninjas? You down for some fancy footwork Flowtorch?

raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey man, sounds like fun. I have a pretty full book in October already, but will you shoot me a note when you know which weekend you're going.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #3
Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
heading out

Im going up to Deerlodge to see Larry tomorrow, Saturday to hang out there with Wendy and hike the canyon. Leaving Sunday eve... Water level is 500, maybe bringing IK if someone lets me borrow one.

Silent Jay and Zach are going hunting an hour west of there, hope they drop by on the way back.

Found some more peanut butter in my fridge for the hike, willing to share... thought was all out of safety gear. That will make this an enlightening experience.
raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009   #4
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Oh man, Shizzlestix and dirkdirka roamin around the woods together, thats a funny picture. Dirk, sorry i missed this a few weeks ago, I was in MT. Sounds like a nice hike for a packraft. Enjoy the peanut butter enlightenment!
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote