Old 05-19-2011   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hermosa Creek/ Animas river this weekend

Anyone ever run the Hermosa Creek?

I run the lower section from the creek bridge into the Animas and down to Trimble lane bridge. It is class III- at most. I have also run from a few miles farther up, and it is very nice class IV- and IV+ almost constantly until the creek bridge. I plan to run it from the lower put in, which requires a 4 mile trail hike.

Water is COLD, fresh runoff. Wetsuit or drysuit is likely very helpful, though I don't have one so i go in shorts with a pfd on warm sunny days. I have a packraft, not a kayak, and my experiences on this creek this year have been very fun. I have to stop every few minutes to bail water when i run above the bridge, but other than numb legs, I have a great time.

Fresh snow that is coating the Hermosa Creek drainage basin will likely melt off by this weekend (based on what i have seen from weather reports and what i see outside), making for a swell in water level and some great, freezing cold rafting/kayaking.

The Animas river, from Bakers bridge to Trimble lane bridge, is also an option and a favorite of mine. Mostly class II- and I+ with some II+ and III-.

alexela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #2
Durango, Colorado
Log jams i have encountered are few and far between, and typically consist of a single log that blocks only a portion of the river, always with a space more than large enough to maneuver through with my packraft.

My classifications may be off, but not by more than a single class (in my mind).

Anyone who wants to run any section of hermosa creek or animas river should (please) post. Danielle and i run them both with our pups (in my one packraft), and i would like to befriend local kayakers, rafters, canoers, and packrafters(and non-locals who want to float. if your here, i will float with you. i don't discriminate too badly against non-Coloradans).

Old 05-20-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Florida river, Silverton daily, Upper Animas, Lower Animas, Middle Animas, Cascade creek, Piedra, Los Pinos, Vallecito creek, Uncompahgre river, Wolf creek, Rio Chama, Hermosa creek, Pandora's Box, maybe South Mineral creek and Ice Lakes pools, this summer anybody?
Anyone ever been down some of these?
Tips or Tales?

animas, colorado, creek, durango, hermosa, kayak