Old 07-13-2012   #1
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 1982
Help a SE Kayaker

Coming from KY to Colorado Springs to visit family this next week. Will be there for a week. Looking for two things:

A) An outfitter that my family can raft with, but who can rent me a kayak or at the very least a duckie. Axiom, Burn or Mamba preferred.

B) On a river that is running, and do able in a single day from Colorado Springs. Cant do any hotel or camping. Seems everything is as dry in CO right now as it is in KY. According to AW the Numbers section (which is drivable from Colorado Springs) is doable at 300cfs? Is this true? Is it a sieved out mess at this level?

Help a brother out!!!

Doug Davis
email me: info at rcckonline dot com
River City Canoe & Kayak

Doug_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #2
Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 1982
Seriously? No replies or help?

Doug_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #3
Paddling Since: 96
Sorry Doug, I don't have much for you. The Numbers boat fine at 300. Raft? Not so much. This ain't the SE so sieves are unusual compared to there. Brown's Canyon, on the Ark, would probably be a better bet. Still gonna be low water rafting though. Don't know who might have a kayak but most outfitters are gonna have ducks. You could rent/demo a kayak from CKS in BV. I'll mention 2 outfitters cuz I know the owners to be good folks, Buffalo Joe and River Runners. Good luck. Make it happen!
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #4
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
The Numbers is plenty of fun at 300cfs (to a jonesing new mexico boater ) I have been up twice this summer, and ran some combo of granite /numbers/fractions 6-7 times. Brown's is still fun for a low water playboat run. the Royal gorge is still run low as well by locals. both sections have lots of swirly eddy lines to squirt and rocks to splat..although its mostly shallow-there is deep channels, and at least you can see the rocks in the water....unlike down here on the rio. its totally boatable, class II-III+ mostly... and then theres whitewater parks in BV and Salida..

you can demo a boat from CKS in buena Vista and you have your choice of rafting companies on the ark. honestly rafting on the #'s looks miserable right now, and not much better on brown's. NR. maybe get the family on a ducky trip down brown's.....

pretty much the other close option if you want IV-V creeking is Bailey. Probably Confluence Kayaks in Denver would be your best bet for a demo if you go that direction instead...

There's your out of state advice from an out of stater.....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
hah. what phil said.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote