Old 06-27-2012   #1
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Heading out East July 14-28

Hey Buzzards,
It's been a pretty slow boating year for me this season, haven't been able to paddle the usual 100+ Days that my first 2 seasons yielded, which is a real drag. But I am heading out to Akron, OH with my Buddy for 2 week and decided that instead of hang out in the flatland the whole time I'm going to head down to Asheville,NC for a week. After which we're are heading to the Red River Gorge to do some world class sport climbing for 4-5 Days.

Of course I want to paddle the Green River Narrows, but I've also heard great things about sections like Chattooga Section 4, French Broad, Tellulah, Cheoah...

I know these are all down there I just don't really know if they're all a good distance apart or a short trip. If they aren't close together, I'd be okay just boating the green for a week.

Just looking for advice on runs that are in the area or that are "must does".

What about runs in the RRG Climbing area?

Place to rent a boat in Asheville?

Paddlers on here that want to meet up for laps?

Nathan H.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #2
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yea, all that is plenty close enough to do in a week, but we haven't been getting much rain, so there's little hope of it running. The good season out here is fall/winter/spring. Check out for dam release days on tallulah and cheoah (I don't think they're running but haven't checked). As it gets closer get in touch. The green is still really fun and its t-shirt boating! I'll paddle with ya on the weekends.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #3
Commercial Paleontology
Upper Yough

Since you will be in OH...Your travel line can put right in place to hit up the Upper Yough....PA/Md border....It's a release schedule so you'll have to look it up..but it's a great run..Don't miss it.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #4
N/A, North Carolina
The Upper Yough looks great on, but it has a notice that it will only be boatable on saturdays unless 2" of rain show up to bring resevoirs back up to reasonable levels.

Tentative plan is

Akron To Yough (Flow Dependent)
Yough to Gauley (Flow Dependent)
Gauley to Asheville (Green, French Broad are currently on)

Thinking I might have to bring a boat instead of renting.
Old 06-28-2012   #5
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

If I remember you were having issues on OBJ last season. You might be ok on the green, but you may also walk the noteworthy rapids on the stretch.... swimming is not an option.

I would recommend going to the Western Adirondacks(NY) and paddling the Bottom Moose, Hudson, and Black Rivers. From there you could even head up to the Ottawa and Rouge rivers in Canada. These would be better suited for your skills.

Best thing for the moose now is the 18' Agers falls which doubles as a hydro plant was struck by lightning last year, meaning the bottom bottom moose is running year round right now. If you decide to head that way I can line you up with some locals in the area.

Oh yeah Black River fest is July 16th. If you want to see a "real" paddlers party I would suggest not missing that one!

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #6
Bugtussle, Kentucky
I would suggest lots of rain dancing. Otherwise Green Narrows is all you'll get if this drought sticks around. Fortunately the climbing in the Red is mostly in the shade...but its gonna be hot and humid, prepare for some friction-less sandstone. Pizza and ice cream at Miguels awaits.

There isn't much boating around the Red unless it rains a lot. The Russell Fork Gorge is only 2 hours away, and its fun and creeky class IV down to 300cfs but again depends on rain and friendly dam operators at Flanagan Reservoir.

It will be over 100 down here this weekend, please bring a cold spell and some rain with you next month. Thanks.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #7
Commercial Paleontology

Well too bad on that scene..haven't been paying attention to there moisture situation...If it does rain the Top Yough which is the next section above the Upper can come in preetty quick..It's about the same difficulty..a little tighter/techy & a couple more noteworthy drops that are not bad at all... but a little harder to hook up with folks for since it's not a release..I do know a few folks around there though...definitely want a guide to show you down Upper...scouting would be necessary & time consuming & since it's a release you have a limit on time.. Good luck with it all.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994

My spare Jefe is available for the Green and such if Joe or I can bring it up there one weekend for you!

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #9
N/A, North Carolina
I definitely had my share of shit shows on OBJ (3 skirt implodes in 2 days) last year highlighted by a some great runs and good times. I'll look into heading up there though, I do have a good friend working at a camp near the gunks, if I decide to sack-up and place my own climbing protection... have a rack available just not the cojones.

As far as the green goes I am already planning on walking the big 3, with the possible exception being the right squeeze at go left. Seems to me that the natural hazards of boating on the east coast(never have so correct me if I am wrong) are much higher as far as undercuts, sieves, potholes, keeper holes, etc.

Thanks for bringing a boat up I'll be in touch when I get out to Ohio and start heading south.
Old 06-29-2012   #10
Silt, Colorado
here is some low down on southeastern paddle flows....if it is a free flowing river ie..Chatooga..etc....= done for the season

schedule flows=
upper yough,,,saturdays only for a few hours only
cheoah,,.... july 7th,,,sept more day in october..thats it
savage river....juy 1st....thats all
ocoee river...middle section class III..runs all week except tues n wed
Upper section..III/IV...sat and sun only would have to check..
..Southeast has drought and fires dont expect utopia here either...
but way better than out west

Gauley starts in WV..sept 8th ... .4 days a week
Talllulah..weekends in november only..

riverscum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote